Railroad Forums 

• RS-11 FOR SALE

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#302385  by Alcoman

The former LNAC RS-11 is STILL for sale for $35,000.
I thought this locomotive would have been sold a long time ago.
I knew of at least 3 possible buyers in the NY/NJ area and none of them has grabed it yet. Anyone need an RS-11?
If so contact me off list and I will provide details regarding the contact.
Alcoman

#302653  by RS-3

I'm surprised too. Ditto the K&K RS-36. Given the shrinking pool of servicable Alcos out there and the general overall tighness of the used locomotive market you would think these units would be gobbled up.

RS

#302817  by BR&P

Without rehashing the whole pro-and-con thing about ALCOs, we can presume the only customers would be a road currently using ALCOs - an all-EMD outfit is not likely to switch back. There is a limit to how many units any road needs, and apparently there just is not a demand for them. The RS11 is an older model and with Centuries available here and there that would seem more attractive. The K&K RS36 has mechanical problems - any good shop could repair them, but with the number of ALCOs which have been for sale in recent years apparently those roads which need some have already bought them.

#302913  by RS-3

I'd agree re only a Alco railroad would be interested. However if (and thata big if) it was me and I was one of the Alco roads, I'd be cornering the market now (so to speak) if I ever had plans to increase business or expand. Better to pick up useable fodder now than have to settle for GE's or something worse in a couple of years, at twice the price. (The LA&L has been pretty good about thinking, and buying ahead.) The pool of good units grow smaller and smaller. And I don't think being a RS-11 is that bad a thing.

Of course its not my money and I'm just a railfan playing guessing games and not a CMO.

RS