Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#362782  by 2spot

Theres an S-1 at OMR for $9500 thats not getting any interest so an $18000 S-4 with "issues" is a hard sell. The S-4 is still on the D F Barnhardt site though for what its worth. Thanks for the clarification, Alcoman.

#362838  by Alcoman

It sounds like the site has not been updated.

#370857  by Alcoman

Recently, it was learned that 2 Alcos have been sold....
1) Maine Coast RS-11
2) Know & Kane RS-36

Question: Who bought them?

#386052  by BR&P

Unconfirmed, but a reliable source has heard Knox & Kane RS36 #70 was sold for parts and ultimately will be scrapped. Another one bites the dust.

#386160  by RS-3

If true, that's too bad. I know you can't save every Alco out there but its sad when the serviceable ones are worth more as parts or scrap then as operating locomotives. And its not like the K&K RS-36 is a oddball or anything, its a pretty common, popular, good unit.

RS

#386319  by BR&P

About a month ago I spoke with a company which deals in loco parts, based in the south. The guy said with oil prices high there is an incredible amount of exploration and drilling going on. That company is buying up ALCOs and reconditioning the prime movers for marine use (see the thread on the M&E scrapping RS-11's). I also understand traction motors are used on drilling rigs. So it sounds like right now, older locomotives are worth far more dead than alive, mainly due to oil prices.
 #387440  by LJ

Walker Ag Inc. of Danville, IL. has an Alco S-2 for sale at its Henning, IL. facility. The unit was built for the Manufactures Railway of St. Louis. It had also spent some time at a steel mill in Iowa. This unit was built with m.u. It apparently had some work done on it within the last few years of operation. The unit does have a Kemtron Hotstart on it. It also has recieved new wheels and rebuilt traction motors. I was told the that the Walker's would like to get $20,000.00 for it. I do know that this unit does run. It has one little problem, and that is that it sits on friction bearings. So it would either have to be loaded onto a flatcar or the bearings would have to be converted to rollers. The interchange is with the CSX at Rossville,IL. :-D

#387468  by Alcoman

BR&P wrote:About a month ago I spoke with a company which deals in loco parts, based in the south. The guy said with oil prices high there is an incredible amount of exploration and drilling going on. That company is buying up ALCOs and reconditioning the prime movers for marine use (see the thread on the M&E scrapping RS-11's). I also understand traction motors are used on drilling rigs. So it sounds like right now, older locomotives are worth far more dead than alive, mainly due to oil prices.
The above means two things:
1) Don't wait if you want to buy an Alco locomotive
2) You know who to blame for high Oil prices...I can think of several persons.

#387527  by pablo

It's my fault! Me and my '67 Impala! I'll take the blame!

Dave Becker

#387534  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:It's my fault! Me and my '67 Impala! I'll take the blame!

Dave Becker
......Make that 4 persons! Sorry, I could not resist...

#396370  by sallenparks

Seminole Gulf's C425 might be for sale while playing around on another forum came acrossed this web page www.ssshortline leasing.com they said it was add April 28, 2007 there are pic's no name or number on the loco but the dead give away is the paint.

#396410  by Matt K Dettman

sallenparks wrote:Seminole Gulf's C425 might be for sale while playing around on another forum came acrossed this web page www.ssshortline leasing.com they said it was add April 28, 2007 there are pic's no name or number on the loco but the dead give away is the paint.
Try www.ssshortlineleasing.com

#404644  by Alcoman

sallenparks wrote:Seminole Gulf's C425 might be for sale while playing around on another forum came acrossed this web page www.ssshortline leasing.com they said it was add April 28, 2007 there are pic's no name or number on the loco but the dead give away is the paint.
This locomotive has been sold.