Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#603725  by The Man

The 1850 is owned by Cayuga Rail leasing LLC. I know the owner and it's for sale. It was marked LS since it was going to work there. That has since changed. But yes it is right on the list as Cayuga. BTW I was told the Ohio Central has sold two of the ALCo's A deal may be in play for yet another.

JJ-
 #603731  by Alcoman

The Man wrote:The 1850 is owned by Cayuga Rail leasing LLC. I know the owner and it's for sale. It was marked LS since it was going to work there. That has since changed. But yes it is right on the list as Cayuga. BTW I was told the Ohio Central has sold two of the ALCo's A deal may be in play for yet another.

JJ-

They were asking $75K for that locomotive.There are parts missing from it too. They are looking for more Alcos.
 #603865  by BR&P

It's been sitting 10 years, has parts missing, and they are asking $75K for it? :P
 #607937  by RS-3

A number of those New Brunswick East Coast Railway and Ottawa Central RS-18's and C-424's should show up on the next CN auction list. A great time to get some good Alcos cheap.

RS
 #611121  by Alcoman

Here is a summury of all the Alcos that are known to be for sale or will be shortly:

The LR&W Alco C420's. Not sold as of 12/9/08
James Kopkey (broker) has a C420 and a RS-11 for sale. Asking price on RS-11 is $65,000 and more for the C420.
Ohio Central has a number of Alcos for sale-This might include a T-6, S-6, RS-18 and 2 S-units. The RS-3 and C424 were sale pending. The C420 has been sold.
Staten Island Railroad S-units-(Not sure if these have been sold yet)SOLD! Don't have more info.UPDATED 12/24/08
Canadian National has approximately 30 RS-18's and 7 C424's for sale to be accepting bids via their website very soon. These are former NBEC and Ottawa Central units.
Some have been sold as of 12/08
 #627156  by thebigham

^http://www.southernappalachia.railway.museum

Description
For Sale -- Former Washington Terminal #50 located on CSXT in Newington, VA. Unit is in rough shape but was parked running two years ago. Friction bearings, 14 air. Unit will need roller trucks to move, but we can help with a set of roller dummies to move it on -- ask for details. Unit could also be dismantled on site. The unit will need to be gone by mid April or we will be forced to scrap it.

Asking price is $15,000 as is, where is. We would also consider interesting trades.
 #627163  by Kuyahoora Valley

I requested more info on this RS1 via email and phone and haven't gotten any replies. I live about 5 miles from Newington and never heard that this engine is there. I found it via Google Map and drove over to take a lookyesterday. Couldn't get too close, but cab door was open and one side was full of grafitti. Not that that means much but if it was accessible to artists it is accessible to copper thieves, and I'd be surprised if the cab isn't vandalized.

I hope to hear from them and get permission to inspect it closer and see if it is worth pursuing.
 #632015  by Kuyahoora Valley

For Sale -- Former Washington Terminal #50 located on CSXT in Newington, VA. Unit is in rough shape but was parked running two years ago. Friction bearings, 14 air. Unit will need roller trucks to move, but we can help with a set of roller dummies to move it on -- ask for details. Unit could also be dismantled on site. The unit will need to be gone by mid April or we will be forced to scrap it.
Photo:
rs1.jpg
rs1.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
 #632151  by BR&P

Just an observation. I believe one of the biggest obstacles to loco preservation - and the reason many restorable Alcos have been scrapped - is the change in policy whereby Class I's refuse to handle friction bearings for any reason. Yes, friction bearings have been outlawed under AAR rules for revenue service, but they are not illegal. But the big railroads have refused to move anything with such trucks, period. That is their right. But since friction bearings were the standard for about a century, they certainly COULD be moved in a physical sense.

The above loco may or may not have been worth saving (and may still be). But when right off the bat you are looking at well into 5 figures to either convert to RB's, or obtain RB trucks for the move, along with associated crane or jacking, it rapidly tips the scale towards scrap. Who knows how many museums or private individuals were blocked from preserving some engine by the cost of this one factor.
 #632769  by MTFR 62

Another problem facing old ALCO's is lack of alignment control couplers. Many railroads are taking up the policy of not moving non alignment control coupler equipment. BNSF has had this policy for years, for a while I had heard they would allow one of their carmen to weld blocks to prevent excess lateral coupler movement but no longer do this. CSX now requires a special move for these, their loco, your equipment at $$$$$, but have handled the equipment at the rear of a freight despite the special move and price.
 #642938  by RailVet

I took a look at the ex-WT Alco in Newington this afternoon. It's pretty well ragged out from vandalism and is missing the headlights at both ends. The stack is uncapped, an opening on the roof of the cab has been letting rainwater into the cab for years, and the air brake hose is missing from the south end. Also, the frog has been removed from the switch at the south end of the siding, but the one at the north end is still intact. An employee on site said his company has been there for four years, having taken over the plant from American Aggregates, and that the locomotive was never used in all that time. Exactly how long it has truly been out of service (clearly much more than two years) is unknown. Having been left in the open, exposed to nature and vandals, this would not be a good buy for anyone even if it were free. A dirt road at the far end of the plant leads down to the track, but it is so poor that even a scrapper would have a hard time getting in and out of there with locomotive chunks.

If someone really wants an ex-WT RS1, he would be better off making an offer to the Mirant power plants at Morgantown and Chalk Point, MD, both of which use RS1s as back-up power in case their EMDs need work. At least those RS1s are operational.
 #642942  by MEC407

Do any of you know of any operable S1 locos currently available for sale? Preferably ones that could be interchanged without much hassle? I know of a road that is looking for one or something similar...