Railroad Forums 

• roll-call

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#13299  by wess

Man
That bad boy really is toasted. Can someone who is familiar with the locomotives design give a good idea what happened? I know the main generator is in that general area, but would there been a fuel or oil leak that could have aggravated the problem? It looks like it was a real hot fire
joe

#14352  by superfleet

I'm still here too

#453066  by Patrick

the fire that burned 976 was caused by a ruptured fuel line. she is now gone (scrapped) and the 1195 as someone mentioned before, is for sale or scrap sadly.

#453661  by Luther Brefo

Patrick wrote:the fire that burned 976 was caused by a ruptured fuel line. she is now gone (scrapped) and the 1195 as someone mentioned before, is for sale or scrap sadly.
What?!

I think you responded to the wrong thread...

#453751  by EDM5970

Luther, I don't think Patrick responded to the wrong thread at all. There was a discussion on a fire that sidelined LSRC 976. There was a gap of some time between posts, but the fact remains that the crossover fuel line ruptured or leaked fuel into the main generator, and the unit caught fire.

That fuel line is something that needs to be watched, on both 244s and 251s. It runs across the end of the engine block just above the main generator, and any leakage can lead to disaster rather quickly.

#453879  by Luther Brefo

EDM5970 wrote:Luther, I don't think Patrick responded to the wrong thread at all. There was a discussion on a fire that sidelined LSRC 976. There was a gap of some time between posts, but the fact remains that the crossover fuel line ruptured or leaked fuel into the main generator, and the unit caught fire.

That fuel line is something that needs to be watched, on both 244s and 251s. It runs across the end of the engine block just above the main generator, and any leakage can lead to disaster rather quickly.
I guess this is why we have the quote feature on forums.

It seems that this would be an easy thing to modify and move further away from the engine block. What sort of material is the fuel line made of? Can it be replaced with a different material that is less susceptible to bursting?

#454165  by EDM5970

There is a recommendation for a replacement in Chris MacDermot's book, "The Service Engineer". As for moving it, or going to a two header system, it creates other problems (per a conversation with Chris).

#454262  by Alcoman

The following person who was close to the situation asked me to post this.
Alcoman-moderator

Subject: Roll-call

I was hired by the party that purchased the 12 cylinder 251 engine and generator from the LSRC C420 #976. My job was to remove the engine from the locomotive, as such I saw first hand what caused the fire that destroyed this locomotive. The locomotive's fire was caused by a diesel fuel mist being sprayed into the main generator. This leak was not caused by the fuel line running across the top back of the diesel engine; i.e. fuel crossover line.

There was a fuel line running from the fuel oil booster pump to the cab for a fuel oil pressure gauge. This line lays on the deck just inside the hood doors, runs past the main generator, thru the electrical cabinet, under the cab floor, thru the floor and is mounted to the front cab wall. This line had a split about one and one half inches long right next to the rear of the main generator. As such, it was spraying a fine mist of diesel fuel into the main generator.

This line was on the left side of the locomotive, but the right side of the diesel engine. Once the fire started, the crew let it burn with the engine still running. The engine continued to run until the fire department arrived and put the fire out. Because of the rotation of the engine/generator, it push the fire around thru the generator and up the left side of the engine, { right side of locomotive } this melted the left rear injector cover, the left rear valve cover and the crankcase exhauster.

The main generator was destroyed as well as the main cables to the electrical cabinet, but the electrical cabinet was unhurt. There was other damage to the locomotive, but it was rebuildable. The insurance company paid for the locomotive, but the decision was made to part it out and not rebuild it.

This all could have been stopped before any major damage occurred. The locomotive had 3 emergency fuel shutdown buttons, none were used. Had the engine been shutdown and the knife switch pulled, the fire could have been put out with a fire extinguisher.

James Kopkey

#454266  by Alcoman

OK Guys.... This thread has gone off topic (No longer a roll call)and I have locked it. The topic above should be named "Lake State Alcos" If you want to start a new thread, be my guest.
Alcoman