Railroad Forums 

• Alco diesel hydraulic

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1474537  by Pneudyne

Something I overlooked when this thread was active was that in the early-mid 1950s, Baldwin had done some work on diesel-hydraulic locomotives. An ASME paper presented by J.S. Newton of Baldwin was summarized in the 1954 May issue of Diesel Railway Traction (DRT). This addressed some of the efficiency and utilization issues discussed above.

Here is the DRT article:
DRT 195405 p.113.jpg
DRT 195405 p.114.jpg
Amongst Newton’s desiderata for main-line diesel-hydraulic locomotives for operation North America were:

#8: Multiple operation with locomotives having electric transmissions is desirable.

#9: The drive should permit braking equal to the dynamic brake of the diesel-electric drive where braking power is usually greater than pulling power.

#9 was feasible and was included in the SP/DRGW prototype specifications.

#8 was not included, and here I suspect there was major resistance from the makers of hydraulic transmissions who had decided it was infeasible and perhaps also just did not like the idea. DRGW and SP proved them wrong.

Cheers,
 #1474539  by Pneudyne

The DRT 1955 June issue included a summary of a paper or presentation by W.B. Gibson of Twin Disc, which in part addressed the desiderata outlined by J.S. Newton of Baldwin.
DRT 195506 p.191.jpg
DRT 195506 p.192.jpg
The author did not seem to be all that keen on the idea of diesel-hydraulic/diesel-electric mixed MU operations, nor was he enthusiastic about the prospects for hydrodynamic braking that was proximate in performance to electrodynamic braking. Yet both turned out to be quite doable.

By the way, this article also contained information on the EMD DH2 prototype additional to that provided elsewhere.

In hindsight, the resistance in some quarters to mixed DH/DE MU operations is difficult to understand. By the mid-1950s, the idea that different makes and models of diesel-electric locomotives could interwork was well established in the USA to the extent of being a norm. Whilst the basic compatibility of EMD and GE power controls was largely happenstance, one could say that Baldwin took the initiative in offering the “compatible” WEMCO XM-781 master controller as an option to its standard pneumatic throttle control, I think from the production start of its road locomotives in the late 1940s. Reconciling the different EMD field loop and GE potential wire dynamic brake controls was done by Fairbanks Morse c.1954. Milwaukee developed its system by which DC electric locomotives could control trailing diesels in 1956, and UP did the same with GTEL-diesel combinations in 1958, although these were one-way systems. Against that background, by 1959-60 DH/DE interworking should surely have looked like a soluble issue simply requiring some detail development work rather than being an uncrossable barrier. Furthermore, GE, with its U25B, had shown that two-way interworking between standard 8-notch and 16-notch control systems was possible, pertinent to the DH/DE case in that by the late 1950s it had been realized that DH locomotives benefitted from multi-notch control, and so were likely to have a higher notch count than standard American DE locomotives.

Still, that history shows that some of the MU initiatives came from the railroad side rather than from the locomotive builders. So it was not so surprising that when the DH locomotive builders ostensibly said, “it can’t be done”, DRGW and SP in 1963 developed their own solutions, and interface unit in the first case and retrofitting with DE-compatible controls (derived from GE’s 16-notch work) in the second case. As a sidebar item, the DRGW interface, which one assumes provided two-way conversion between stepped electric and pneumatic protocols, probably could also have been adapted for use between standard DE and Baldwin air throttle DE locomotives.

The DE/DH MU question thus had been resolved just before Alco built the DH643 fleet for SP.

Cheers,
 #1474589  by NorthWest

Very interesting reading, thanks. Certainly eye opening in its possibilities.

I wonder if this was one of those quirks that arose from K-M's (and others') relative unfamiliarity with the demands of the North American market.
 #1474759  by Pneudyne

Yes, I think that unfamiliarity with the North American market was a big factor. And even where some of the differences as compared with European practices were known, their effects on products built in the European way were probably not fully quantifiable short of in-service experience. For example, KM knew that the American roads had staggered rail joints, and did endeavour to compensate for this in the suspension design of the ML4000 prototypes. But the effects tuned out to be of greater magnitude than envisaged, and modifications were needed.

The SP published an SAE paper on the KM prototypes, in which it said, perhaps somewhat optimistically: “At the outset, let me point out that these Krauss-Maffei units are not standard European locomotive design. While they employ European concepts and components, they were built to American standards of strength and construction to meet specifications developed jointly by the mechanical engineering staffs of the railroads and the locomotive builder. Many details are basic American standards which have been employed wherever possible.” That was followed a little later by: “In other words, one might say that these prototype units are European built locomotives of American design.”

Nevertheless the MU compatibility question appears to have involved an element of stubbornness, an entrenched belief that DH/DE mixed MU was something that could not, or at least should not be done. Zenk devoted a chapter to it in his book on the KM Hydraulics, see p.112ff. He deduced that the SP and DRGW chose not to insist upon MU compatibility, and suggested that cost and expediency were the factors involved. From that one can infer that KM did not want to do it, and perhaps had suggested that there would be cost and delay implications were it attempted, with no guarantee of success. When DRGW went ahead with the development of an MU interface, the KM engineers objected, indicating that any such conversion would not receive warranty support.

MU compatibility was part of the SP’s 1962 specification for production units, though, and that requirement appears to have forced the issue.

Alco published an SAE paper on the DH643, which had as its opening: “THE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT of a mainline diesel-hydraulic locomotive was undertaken with the potential of greater adhesion, lower possible continuous speed than a diesel-electric for the same horsepower per axle, and lower maintenance on the transmission system.
“Design parameters were that:
1. Locomotive must be compatible and operate in all functions in multiple with existing and future domestic diesel-electric locomotives.”

The MU compatibility requirement was number one on a list of eight key items. However, the paper did not describe how that was achieved. It did state that the hydrodynamic brake was controlled in 16 steps, although the paper included what I think was a “stock” diagram of the Voith transmission with an 8-point (3 bit) EP hydrodynamic brake controller. I’d guess that the 16-step unit actually used was the Westinghouse 16-point (4-bit) EP controller first introduced for throttle control on the DB V100 class. Other information on the Voith hydrodynamic brake suggests that at least three forms of braking level control were offered, namely 8-point EP, 16-point EP and continuously variable pneumatic.

Cheers,
 #1606722  by AllenHazen

I remember that "Trains" cover story! ... One feature mentioned, as I recall, was that the cab (on the semi-streamlined first generation DRGW diesel hydraulics) was apparently made of a heavier gauge of sheet metal than that used on contemporary U.S. diesels, and that this led to a quieter (or more vibration-free) crew environment.
---
Not sure of the date, but I remember one earlier "Trains" mention of the d.h. experiment, a short new item. The "Alco-haulics" stayed n service after the retirement of the K-M units: "Trains" (wording it in a way suggesting they had spoken to SP motive power people) said that the German engines on the K-M units were problematic, but that the diesel-hydraulic transmission itself had a "clean bill of health." (But it's been a LONG time since I read that, and I wouldn't bet a large sum on my memory's reliability.)
 #1606745  by SSW921

AllenHazen wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:02 pm I remember that "Trains" cover story! ... One feature mentioned, as I recall, was that the cab (on the semi-streamlined first generation DRGW diesel hydraulics) was apparently made of a heavier gauge of sheet metal than that used on contemporary U.S. diesels, and that this led to a quieter (or more vibration-free) crew environment.
---
Not sure of the date, but I remember one earlier "Trains" mention of the d.h. experiment, a short new item. The "Alco-haulics" stayed n service after the retirement of the K-M units: "Trains" (wording it in a way suggesting they had spoken to SP motive power people) said that the German engines on the K-M units were problematic, but that the diesel-hydraulic transmission itself had a "clean bill of health." (But it's been a LONG time since I read that, and I wouldn't bet a large sum on my memory's reliability.)
David P. Morgan wrote about Espee's hydraulic experiment in the 20th annual motive power survey. The article was "THE IRON-HORSE OPERA Confessions of a middle-aged locomotive reporter". That article appears in the November 1968 Trains magazine, see page 23.

Ed in Kentucky
 #1608317  by RRATSTJ.

All,
Would anyone here happen to know if there is a OPERATORS MANUAL for ALCO's DH-643 ? < As to my question which I posted on Wednesday , 12 October 2022 . I am curious to know if there happens Operators Manual for the ALCO DH643 which someone has downloaded . If There is one please message it. It will be for My Personal Use Only! It will NOT BE SHARED!!

Tom
 #1608458  by Pneudyne

I haven’t yet found the Alco DH-643 operating manual on-line. And that’s after occasional looking over 20+ years. So it does seem to be unobtainium.

I’d guess that it was probably quite scarce to begin with, and any that do change hands do so at quite inflated prices, such that buyers might be reluctant to scan and share. For example, on the odd occasion about a decade or so back, when I still looked, any UP GTEL8500 manuals that have appeared on eBay have gone for rather high prices.

It is not unknown for historical societies to offer operating manual reprints, at prices that are neither unremunerative to them nor too stratospheric for railfans. Maybe the SP Historical and Technical Society could be persuaded to do this, assuming that it does have an original DH-643 manual, and that it can clear any copyright issues.

According to the attached page from Alco Technical Bulletin 45-B of 1964 October, the DH-643 manual was number”TP-446”.
(96.82 KiB) Downloaded 851 times

Cheers,
 #1615274  by Pneudyne

Does that manual provide much detail about the internal workings of the DH643?

An interesting aspect would be what kind of engine governor and engine speed control were used, bearing in mind that there would have been 15 or 16 engine speeds, not evenly spaced.

Cheers,
 #1615722  by Pneudyne

Mention that the GE KC99 master controller was used in the Alco DH643 was made in the “Alco Century 855 Infos and Specs Request” thread at: alco-century-855-infos-and-specs-reques ... l#p1615640. And there was further consideration of the KC99 in the “GE U50 and GTEL Informations” thread, at: ge-u50-and-gtel-informations-t172287-45.html#p1615560.

From there one may construct at least a plausible outline as to how it was used in the DH643. The underlying control system needed to work with inputs from any of its own KC99 master controller, another KC99 when it was trailing another DH643 in a consist, or the standard AAR eight notch protocol when it was trailing a standard diesel-electric locomotive. It also needed to know the incoming protocol, and the logical candidate here is the SN trainline (and MR relay) as used in the GE 16-notch diesel-electric application.

On the power control side, the AAR input included the usual throttle solenoid trainlines, which would provide for eight-step control. These would need to have been “translated” to a form usable by the DH643 engine governors, which in this mode would have provided eight engine speeds. The KC99 provided these plus additionally the 16-step variable voltage from the rheostat. Possibly only the latter needed to be used, “translated” to provide the full 15 or 16 steps (I am not sure which number applied here.)

For hydrodynamic brake control, the AAR input was a continuously variable voltage, whereas the KC99 input was a stepped variable voltage. This voltage would need to have been translated into a form usable by the hydrodynamic brake control. As I understand it, the DH643 had 16-step brake control, which suggests that it would have used the Westinghouse four-piston operator. The latter required a four-wire binary input. Conversion to this from variable voltage was certainly within the lexicon at the time. E.g. the GE U25B used voltage sensitive relays to control transition. And the early Locotrol patents show “digitization” of the continuously variable dynamic brake control into eight levels (and eight notional trainlines).

In the 1960s, the Voith hydrodynamic brake appeared to have been available with three forms of control, all operating on the gate valve that controlled fluid quantity in the circuit. One was continuously variable pneumatic, another was an eight-position, three-piston electropneumatic operator, and the third was an one was a 16-position, four-piston electropneumatic operator. To add some complexity though, I understand that some German export locomotives had the continuously variable operator, but fed from a notched master controller that delivered air in sixteen pressure steps. The eight- and 16-position operators respectively required three- and four-bit binary inputs. They could also be used to convert a binary electrical input to variable air pressure, by having them drive a self-lapping air valve. (British Rail did exactly that in one case to translate from stepped electric to pneumatic power control.) This diagram shows both the eight- and 16-step versions.

Voith Hydrodynamic.png
Voith Hydrodynamic.png (622.18 KiB) Viewed 804 times

Cheers,
 #1615723  by Pneudyne

Earlier in the thread was a discussion of the British Rail (BR) class 22 (diesel-hydraulic, DH) and class 21 (diesel-electric, DE) locomotives, which were intended to be counterparts for transmission comparison purposes. Although some of the differences between the two were probably inevitable, another factor may have been that the 22 design was likely substantially completed before the 21 was conceived. The builder, NBL, had been lobbying BR to buy some diesel hydraulic locomotives quite early on, and the orders for what became the 41 and 22 classes were apparently placed before the Pilot Plan, covering prototype diesel-electrics, was developed. As mentioned, the 21 was ordered because BR thought it should have a direct comparison between DH and DE types. The intermediate power range into which these locomotives fell was BR’s “sandbox” in the Pilot Plan. The other “experimental” types, neither of which was likely to result in production orders, were the class 23 (EE “baby” Deltic”), because BR thought that it should at least try the Deltic powerplant, although at the time it had no intention of using it more widely, and the class 28 (Metropolitan Vickers Crossley Co-Bo), because it thought that it should include a medium-speed two-stroke engine in the mix.

Anyway, that the 21 and 22 were not designed in parallel would have meant that the 22 was designed without any consideration of a DE counterpart. In turn the opportunity for maximum commonality was probably foreclosed. One reason for the use of Commonwealth bogies on the 21, rather than something similar to those on the 22, may have been that NBL was already overtaxed, so that the easy pathway was to use a third-party design.

Aside from the BR case, SNCB, Belgium undertook a direct DE vs DH comparison in the early 1960s, when it started its acquisition of medium-powered line-service locomotives. It did not seem to be all that serious about it though. Although one DH model was ordered at about the same time as its DE counterpart, the other was somewhat delayed. And bulk ordering of the two DE designs started before any serious comparative studies could have been completed. Possibly there was a faction within SNCB who thought that DH line service locomotives should be given a try, perhaps influenced by their apparent success in Germany, and in particular, the maturation of the DB concept with the advent of the V160 class in 1960, much simpler and more economical than the complex flagship V200.

In the second half of the 1950s, SNCB had built up a fleet of DE locomotives in the 1750 to 1950 hp range, using both Cockerill-Baldwin and licence-built EMD designs. The same two supply options were also invoked for the medium-power DE locomotives, type 210 (later series 60, 61) from Cockerill, and type 212 (later series 62, 63) from Brugeoise et Nivelles (BN), by then the Belgian EMD licensee. The DH counterpart to the 210 was the type 211 (later series 64), but although having the same Cockerill-BLH engine as for the 210, this was to be built by ABR. They were probably designed more-or-less in parallel, and Cockerill probably had some involvement with it, given that it was the engine supplier. The engine was the Cockerill-BLH TH895SA.

This diagram shows the both the original type 210 (production versions were slightly different) and the type 211.

(104.7 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

The Type 212 (later series 62) was the EMD AA12 model, fitted with the 12-567C engine. The AA12 had previously been listed and built by EMD’s German licensee, Henschel, and was more-or-less a twin-cab version of the G12. Licensees had quite a bit of flexibility when it came to body design though, and the Belgian AA12 certainly looked a lot different to those that Henschel built for service in Egypt. The 213 (later series 65, then 75) was a DH version of the 212, and had EMD designation DH12. It was not built until 1965, and as a consequence had the 12-567D1 engine rather than the 12-567C. Whether much consideration had been given to the DH case when the 212 was laid out is unknown, but probably not much, given that it was a variation of a standard design. Thus the 213 could be viewed as a DH adaptation of the 212.

(148.1 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

Just six each of the 211 and 213 were built, whereas the totals for the 210 and 212 ran to over 100.

Both DH types used the Voith L216rs transmission. This had two torque converters and one fluid coupling, the latter used in the highest speed range. That approach seemed to be in vogue at the time, having been used for the DB, Germany V160 prototypes, which had the larger, but otherwise similar L218rs transmission. The fluid coupling third stage was probably more efficient, but that was traded off against reduced power utilization. The idea did not seem to have a lot of merit for line service locomotives. Both SNCB diesel-hydraulics also had two-stage transmission output gearing, again following the V160 lead. This provided faster gearing for passenger service and slower gearing for freight service, changeable only when the locomotive was stationary.

The 212 had the standard EMD eight-notch control system, using the Woodward PG governor. It probably had the standard EMD master controller of the time. The 213 was different though. For DH locomotives whose transmission included a fluid coupling, as in this case, direct control of the fuel rack combined with a min-max governor was preferred over conventional speed control. Here the rack control was obtained using a Westinghouse eight-position electropneumatic device. There was no mention of the Woodward PG governor, so it would seem that EMD had used an alternative min-max unit. In the late 1950s, Westinghouse had developed both three-piston, eight-position and four-piston, 16-position linear electropneumatic operators that could be used for engine fuel and speed control, and hydrodynamic brake control. DB used the four-piston version to provide 15 notch control on its V100 and V160 class locomotives. In the SNCB 213 case, eight notches was a relatively low count for a diesel-hydraulic locomotive of the time, given that experience by then indicated that somewhere in the 14 to 16 range was preferable. Possibly it was done to allow the use of the standard EMD master controller. The 213 appears to have been fitted for MU, but whether or not it was compatible with the 212 is unknown.

The 210 had the ACEC-Westinghouse continuously variable pneumatic throttle control using the Woodward UG8 governor. The master controller looked like the Baldwin CE100 or something very similar. The 211 had a Westinghouse continuously variable pneumatic control system, apparently with a Westinghouse master controller. Presumably the control was of the fuel rack rather than the speed type, but this is unconfirmed.

Thus the SNCB case provides another view of a situation where diesel-electric and diesel-hydraulic locomotives were designed for the same basic job and with significant commonality. If nothing else, it confirms that for single-engine installations, the two cases required significantly different engine placements on the frame.

I am not aware of any other cases where “maximum” similarity/commonality DE and DH locomotives were acquired by a railroad system. Certainly there have been cases where DE and DH locomotives have been designed to a common specification or requirement, but were otherwise very different, as in the British rail class 47 (DE) and 52 (DH) cases.

Cheers,
 #1616061  by Typewriters

POST EDITED...

A double check of official ALCO records by a friend shows that the controller for the DH643 was in fact the KC102. This later would become the "two lever" controller introduced with the GE U33 series.

Interestingly, the operator manual for the DH643 is clear that only eight engine speeds were trainlined to trailing diesels. This surely tells us that AV/BV/CV/DV were trainlined and there was no SN wire to pick up GE 16 notch control. If the DH643 was trailing diesel locomotives, the DH643 would respond only to eight notches (and radiator spray was inoperative as it would have no control from the diesel in the lead.)

Will Davis
Last edited by Typewriters on Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.