Railroad Forums 

• Large Framed Alco C636 Builder Prints IC 1100 & 636-3

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1555338  by Ale Rider1

Anyone see anything like these before?

I found these at a Connecticut Estate sale, tried to flip on ebay (high opening bid) where they did not sell. I decided to keep.

They have a stamp on the back of a Schenectady New York furniture company and are dated in pen 10/1969.

These are about 24 by 27 inches - seemingly professionally matted and framed.

Think these were done by a Alco fan or were commissioned at the very end of locomotive production?
Attachments:
P1013582.JPG
P1013582.JPG (597.83 KiB) Viewed 950 times
P1013575.JPG
P1013575.JPG (589.57 KiB) Viewed 950 times
 #1555365  by Allen Hazen

Since the IC units and the demonstrators probably didn't meet again after leaving Schenectady, the photos (taken at pretty much the same location: note the fence in the background) are probably Also builder's photos. (Most Alco builder's photos that I am familiar with have brick buildings in the background: does anyone who knows the layout of the Schenectady works know of a location where these photos could have been taken? Or should we assume that the "sky" behind locomotives is retouching?)
 #1555459  by Ale Rider1

Thank you for the reply. There is a completed (ebay sale) older looking photo postcard of IC1100 stating that the photo came courtesy of the American Locomotive CO. Same background - no brick buildings and fence in background. It seems that these images are ALCO builders photos - but who had these large format prints made and framed in 1969? A fan? Alco employee remembering the technical peak of diesel design at ALco?
 #1555695  by Allen Hazen

I'm not sure how readily available builder's photos would have been for people without direct links to the company. (I started getting seriously interested in railroads in the early 1970s: I don't think photos like this were, e.g., advertised in "Trains".). So my ***guess*** would be that an Alco employee was involved. How about answering "both" to your question? Railfan, with a friend or relative who worked for Also and got him the photos?