Railroad Forums 

• "Official" STEAMTOWN Thread

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#886288  by ricebrianrice

Saw pictures of a new tender at Steamtown, looked to be Stainless steel, all welded.
What unit is the tender for?

Brian
 #886378  by Schuylkill Valley

Cosmo wrote:Ok, I understand there are "good reasons" why it was decided 565 won't run,
but what, exactly WERE those reasons?
Well the list is very long but I'll see what I can do.
Running gear needs work
Boiler needs work
There's Parts missing
needs new stay bolts
Flus
Supper heater pipes
we have no Greats or the linkage that makes them work.
crown sheet is thin
No crossheads
Ect.

Dose that answer your questions?

Len
Co - Volunteer Lead.
 #886379  by Schuylkill Valley

ricebrianrice wrote:Saw pictures of a new tender at Steamtown, looked to be Stainless steel, all welded.
What unit is the tender for?

Brian
CN 3254

Len.
 #886503  by Cosmo

Schuylkill Valley wrote: Well the list is very long but I'll see what I can do.
Running gear needs work
Boiler needs work
There's Parts missing
needs new stay bolts
Flus
Supper heater pipes
we have no Greats or the linkage that makes them work.
crown sheet is thin
No crossheads
Ect.

Dose that answer your questions?

Len
Co - Volunteer Lead.
Yup, pretty much.
Thanks Len
 #887337  by Schuylkill Valley

Well theres one thing that's in radder great shape is her tender , We only need to do minor repairs with it.
Tender truck safty chains needs to be replaced there sorta missing.
Wooden bolster beam of the front needs replaced.
Coal bunker Extention plate steel needs to be replaced.
one Friction bearing dust cover.
new air and Steam heat pipes
New air & water hoses
New wooden double floor of the chassis {Replace with Oak boards}
Sand blast chassis and body.
After compleated Paint and Letter.
6500 Gal.
10 Ton.

Hope that shed some light.

Len
Co volunteer Lead.
http://projectdlw565.webs.com
 #892782  by rwk

Will a US built steam locomotive ever operate at Steamtown? And why the Reading diesels to DWG again in June 2011? The bridge is fixed by now. No more trips to the Nicholson Viaduct? How were they able to go that way more often between 1989-1992 while the Moscow line was out of service? Is it because CP took over at some point and freight traffic is heavier?
 #893535  by Rick Rowlands

In what country was the MILW 261 and BLW 26 built in? For some reason I thought that the 261 was built in New York and the 26 was built in Pennsylvania. I can swear that I rode behind the 261 through Nay Aug tunnel and watched from a vestibule as the rails were hand sanded one damp morning as she slipped trying to make the grade.

Must have been dreaming..... no American steam has ever operated at Steamtown.
 #895076  by Schuylkill Valley

Why do you people worrie about things you can't do anything about. Would you radder have steamtown a display museum only. if not quick complaining.
No matter what you think Steamtown is a Railroad museum, that means diesels as well as steam.
Len.
Steamtown Volunteer Co Lead Project 565
 #895173  by chuchubob

Mr rt wrote:Why are they getting a PA2 & C420 ... plus a F3B to go with their pair of F3As ?
(do they all have steam generators ?)
Steamtown is not getting an FA2 or a C420. They are going to the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society and are going to the DL shop in Scranton.
The F3B is going to Steamtown to go with their pair of F3As. That's OK with me.
 #895258  by Schuylkill Valley

"The F3B is going to Steamtown to go with their pair of F3As. That's OK with me."

The F3B is going to be restored in the DL&W paint as 665 , That will happen some time this coming season most likey, so they can team it up with DL&W 663 and 664. There has been talk that they might work out a deal with the DL to run Revinue Freight with them. Time will tell.
Len.
Steamtown Volunteer Co Lead Project 565
 #899462  by daylight4449

Rick Rowlands wrote:In what country was the MILW 261 and BLW 26 built in? For some reason I thought that the 261 was built in New York and the 26 was built in Pennsylvania. I can swear that I rode behind the 261 through Nay Aug tunnel and watched from a vestibule as the rails were hand sanded one damp morning as she slipped trying to make the grade.

Must have been dreaming..... no American steam has ever operated at Steamtown.
it has. 261 was there when steamtown opened, along with reading, blue mountian and northern's pacific that passed through the hands of paulsen spence. i think 261 did an excursion or two, but she did at least one before leaving.