Railroad Forums 

• Comments on WNY area historical societies

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#746096  by jrs363

In case anyone did not realize this,, our newsletter editor lives outside of NYC, and our webmaster lives in California, so you don't have to be on site to make a solid impact.

Another area that we can always use help on is grant writing. This is something that can be done when the family is tucked in bed. If you have the ability to produce polished proposals, our guy could always use a hand, and membership is not a requirement.

John Stewart
Rochester Chapter, NRHS
RGVRRM
 #746168  by Otto Vondrak

Here's two ways you can support a railroad museum/preservation group:

1) Join as a member and pay your dues annually. There's strength in numbers, even if you're not on site to participate.

2) Visit the museum/group and pay an admission. And bring your friends. The more paid visitors, the stronger the group becomes.

"Thank you for your support."
 #748681  by Otto Vondrak

Railroaded wrote:For me, it's boats first, trains second. I'm a member of the Lower Lakes Marine Historical Society. It's only 200 members strong, but we publish a bi-monthly newsletter covering history & current events related to shipping in Buffalo, Lackawanna, & Tonawanda that includes a vessel traffic record like my blog on the boatnerd, but with a little more detail...
Lol... you make a statement about railroad preservation societies, then when someone asks about your involvement, you counter with boats! :-) So based on your response, is it safe to assume that you have not attempted to support any of the preservation groups you are criticizing? Because of your involvement with boats?

What were we talking about again?
 #749200  by GSC

Like Otto said above, you don't have to be on-site to contribute to the cause. I served as membership and publicity chairman (I was the whole committee) at the NJ Museum of Transportation / Pine Creek RR for 21 years, and most of what I did with that I could do at home, at 2 in the morning, on the computer.

These problems mentioned above are just what happens with volunteer groups and non-profits. We have the same situation at my American Legion post, local museums and societies I've done PR for, and a business association I helped found. Same people, just different faces. You have to just move along and get the work done you want to get done, as best you can.