Railroad Forums 

• Operating Policies / Discipline Policies

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#847776  by Arrestmespi

I've seen quite a bit of lack of rules adherence on shortlines, tourist lines, and museums. I've seen people donate a large sum of money become qualified engineers automatically. I've seen engineering and mechanical work that would give the FRA inspector a heart attack. I've seen some that are quite good on rules compliance as well.
 #847836  by Engineer Spike

I was I am just saying that not saying that all paid railroaders are top notch. I am just saying that someone who does it 24/7 would have much more experience. Most tourist line operators run on various branch lines. They have rules to adhere to. The foundation of rules came when the first railroad bought the second locomotive. They wanted to keep them from running into each other. My concern is with a particular tourist line which wants to enter a class 1's main track. Who knows if they will live up to mixing with Amtrak and numerous freight trains.
I am also thinking about Noel's point. If they get into trouble, they just can't play choo choo. It is higher stakes out on the high iron.
 #848590  by Arrestmespi

They would need to be rules, signals, ABTH, and physically qualified on the territory and or have an engineer pilot. Most class ones aren't gonna allow this out on there mains anyway not unless crewed by professional railroaders(amtrak or the class 1).