Railroad Forums 

• The Conway Scenic Railroad

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#613695  by Mountcastle

I'm thinking about a trip to New Hampshire next Summer and a visit to the Conway Scenic Railroad. Their (marvelous) website shows what seems to be a gorgeous train and a gorgeous trip, scenery-wise.

Aside from a lovely scenic journey aboard a beautifully appointed train, what else has the Conway Scenic got to offer someone who's a little more interested in the "railroad" aspect than he is in the "scenic"aspect? Is there, for example, and engine house or railyard that can be toured and inspected freely? I'm thinking of a scenic railroad in my own neck of the woods that is both family-friendly and rail enthusiast-friendly at which railfans can roam about the yard at their leisure, loiter to their hearts' content about the depots and static displays, and go 'trainspotting' at any number of places along the line.

Also, is this strictly a scenic railroad or does it travel along a working short line?
 #613720  by Otto Vondrak

The roundhouse is not open for tours, but you can walk all around the grounds, the turntable, and other equipment on display. Multiple photo opportunities available at North Conway (and other locations along the line if you're going to chase). Following Route 302, you'll find a few locations for chase. Here's some of my photos...

http://flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/se ... 133981595/

We also have a pretty lively Conway Scenic discussion on the New England Railfan Forum:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=28283

-otto-
 #613760  by Mikejf

If you are into the railroad side of things, plan for a day there. Get there around 8 am to see them pull whatever the choice locomotive of the day is, either steam or diesel, onto the turntable. Most of the structures there are original, including the roundhouse. The turntable is powered by air, supplied from the locomotive. Then after the first train departs for Conway, depending on the season, a second train will depart for Crawford Notch. After that one departs, the train returns from Conway. Then the same train heads for Bartlett, with a possible change of motive power, depending on the locomotive that was used on the Conway run. Plenty of action before lunch.
Mike
 #613773  by Otto Vondrak

Mountcastle wrote:Also, is this strictly a scenic railroad or does it travel along a working short line?
There are no freight customers, if that's what you're asking. Tracks are isolated at the south end toward Ossipee. Physical connection with the outside world is at Whitefield, NH. There is no regular service provided above Crawford Notch, moves to Whitefield are rare, usually to move equipment in or out. The line from North Conway to Whitefield is ex-MEC Mountain Division. North Conway toward Conway is ex-B&M North Conway Branch. North Conway towards the Maine border is ex-MEC as well. From the Maine border to Portland is owned by MEDOT, with talk of reopening all or part of the line. Again, read the thread linked above for full details.
 #613780  by Mountcastle

It sounds like Disneyland for train lovers; I'll definitely have to check it out next season. Thanks for all the info.

Otto: If, after my visit, I decide I just have to have an HO model of this train I won't have any worries about where to go...

http://www.newenglandcustomrail.com/Pro ... vemain.htm

No need to worry about Boontons vs MP54s vs Heaven knows what!

:wink:
We also have a pretty lively Conway Scenic discussion on the New England Railfan Forum:
I'll say you do: 100 pages worth. I'm afraid I'll have to pass on trying to catch up with you folks on that conversation.
 #613970  by atsf sp

If you are going to ride on the Conway Scenic take the notch train and not the train to Conway. The ride is longer and more scenic rather than going to the next town over.
 #614191  by Mountcastle

Thanks for the advice, however I would be inclined to make a weekend of it and ride both trains. This will probably be a one time visit and I plan to make the most of it.
 #617337  by jscola30

If you have time, I'd check out the Hartmann Model Railroad Museum, just a short drive from the Conway Scenic Railroad.
 #676631  by HTBrandes

Conway Scenic is rich in history and equipment. It has one of the largest collections of F units, 3 of which are in operation. In addition it also has two U-23Bs, a GP-9 and the Canadian National 0-6-0 steamer that comes out later in the summer and in the fall (you might see me firing on Fridays). The MEC Mountain division is full of history and has tremendous views of the valley when you get above Bartlett. It is a "highline of the East" as it hugs the valley wall on its way up to Crawford Notch.

Much work has been done this spring with respect to track work. A 2 inch lift between Mountain Junction and Bartlett has just been completed that will make for a smooth ride.

Bring your camera and don't be in a rush as there is much to see and do in the North Conway area.

I was up there working track this week west of Faybian. Just being outside in the mountains can't be beat. And the best views in the house...from the hy-railer coming down from Crawford Notch!
 #676665  by atsf sp

HTBrandes wrote:Conway Scenic is rich in history and equipment. It has one of the largest collections of F units, 3 of which are in operation. In addition it also has two U-23Bs, a GP-9 and the Canadian National 0-6-0 steamer that comes out later in the summer and in the fall (you might see me firing on Fridays).
#23 isn't a U23 but rather a B23-7. And the 573 is a GP7. And they also now have a Budd car along with other engines such as 2 44tonners, 1 ALCO S4, and an old MEC steam engine which is not operating.