Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Museum of Long Island happenings?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#601685  by Mr rt

Don, aka N2qhvRMLI,
I didn't realize that The Vanderbilt & Planetarium were having trouble :-(
I suspect that Old Bethpage is in the same shape.

There has been a general lack of visitors at most of these museums in the tri-state area.
It may be more wide spread, I just don't have any information outside of this area.

I include non RxR attractions to guage the pubilc in general vs. railfans, e.g.
in CT: Barmum Museum (Bridgeport), Mystic Seaport (New London), Sturbridge Village (Springfield MA), etc.

So if we acknowledge general lack of interest by the public & compound that with less & less railfans who are alive & interested in trolley rides, steam, etc. We begin to see the cause of the problem. The final nail in RMLI coffen is there lack of a ride. Take into consideration the ability of Essex or Naggy to attract a large amount of visitors ... one has steam (they just bought a 3rd engine), the other diesel ... both offer a Thomas event that goes a long way to pay their bills for the whole year. The Point (Warehouse Point Trolley Museum) does very well at Christmas by offering a ride in an open car down their line strung with lights. At the Branford Trolley Museum birthday parties pay a lot of the bills & a visit to sit on Santa's lap helps a lot too. The "ride" or equipment & history to look over for both of the latter two is not why they came.

My two points:
1. RMLI needs to get something operating, because mom will bring the kids for a afternoon trip that is inexpensive. Mom will bring her son to a RxR place & have a birthday party there because it's different then Micky D's or Chuck E Cheeze.
2. RMLI needs to get the visitors to come in, not primarly for railfan reasons, i.e. see #1

I heard a romor that RMLI was goping to give up on the full scale stuff & move to a smaller scale type place ????
 #601687  by Otto Vondrak

buxtonmach wrote:I myself am planning to join RMLI as a volunteer in the near future, time and money permitting. I am a welder and machinist by trade, and feel I could bring a lot to the table, but hope that I too do not get stonewalled at every turn. In the meantime it would be nice to know what is going on in Riverhead and Greenport at least on a monthly basis.
Best post I've seen yet. A great first step. Offer to help.

-otto-
 #601788  by Paul

6. Brother Paul and especially Little Paul. Do not for one minute forget who closed down our efforts to work on 1556
Hey Brother Don.

First off let me say that I have nothing but respect for you and I don't envy your position in any of this. You opened your home to me, we broke bread together, and all of my dealings with you have always been above board. I also want you to know (and everybody else on this board as well) that none of my posts are to be interpreted as personal attacks on you or anyone else. I harbor no ill will to you. You (Don) and I have had over the years an excellent working and personal relationship and I hope it continues well into the future.

Pablo Jr and I were discussing that very individual yesterday on I.M.. Trust me when I say this, (again, my personal opinion) that particular person has perhaps done innumerable damage to the Museum, the equipment and sadly most of all to the men and women who so desire to accomplish goals. If I were living on Long Island, I doubt this person would hold the 'title" that he does. I would have made a conscious effort to strip him of any authority that he would hold over the equipment. His track record on successful equipment restoration shall we say is doubtful at best. Authority is a funny thing. Inaction on a leaders' part is still an action.

That said, the question needs to be asked is "Where are we at and where do we need to be?"

As leader of RMLI, I am afraid you have a lot of fences to mend on the part of the volunteers before others get involved or reinvolved. You should also know that I will always give you technical assistance when ever you ask.

If I offend anyone, tuff. I speak the truth as I perceive it, and because I really care.

Me, Twenty years ago last March. Photo by Midwest Fred.
 #601861  by Otto Vondrak

Mr rt wrote:My two points:
1. RMLI needs to get something operating, because mom will bring the kids for a afternoon trip that is inexpensive. Mom will bring her son to a RxR place & have a birthday party there because it's different then Micky D's or Chuck E Cheeze.
2. RMLI needs to get the visitors to come in, not primarly for railfan reasons, i.e. see #1
Since you know so much about what RMLI needs to succeed, I suggest you join up and run for a position on the board and offer to help get the museum to those goals. I'm sure all of the birthday parties that come to RMLI will more than pay for all the restoration projects that are pending.
 #601890  by Nova55

In all fairness must say said person thats being mentioned has indeed done more positive things for that museum in my 5 years there then anybody there that I can think of, including planning events and quite the bit of equipment work. I don't think any further comment on this is needed unless that person joins in.
 #602010  by n2qhvRMLI

Good evening Gentle Forum Members,

mr rt,

Yes, all across our Country, museums, preservation groups and historical societies are feeling the pinch. You may read the entire story about the Vanderbilt here: http://www.newsday.com/services/newspap ... 1091.story

The big difference between RMLI and the three CT operations you mention: they own or have running rights to the track they are using. Our only track, 110 miles west of New York City and interchange, is owned and operated by the MTA. It creates a world of challenges that the other operations do not have to contend with.

Our current focus is to appeal to families with children as well as railfans. We can educate the children and their parents about railroading on Long Island and they get to ride the G-16 World’s Fair Train at Riverhead. We also encourage them to visit Riverhead at 10AM and then ride to Greenport on the LIRR Scoot, (only $2.75 +/-), visit our Museum there and return on the LIRR Scoot to their car at Riverhead by 2:00PM. That’s four hours of railroading, two train rides and two Museums for $7.75 per adult. You can’t go wrong with that.

RMLI will not “give up” on full scale stuff. It is part of our mission to hold, display, maintain and restore historical railroad artifacts, (that includes cars and locomotives), to the best of our ability for the education and enjoyment of NYS Residents. What may be mistaken by “moving to small scale” is that we have recognized the interest of families and children for the model trains, they are an attraction that satisfies our visitors and brings them in for the big stuff. You may not be aware, but there has been a 16’ long, HO layout depicting the Greenport Yards, circa 1950’s, at our Greenport Museum Site. That layout was beautifully built for us by the Long Island Model Railroad Engineers more than fourteen years ago. There has always been a model train component to RMLI for education and enjoyment. Now though, with our families in mind, Thomas the Tank Engine runs on the Greenport Layout!

Brother Paul,

No offense taken, your comments were and are appreciated. You are always welcome on the Right Coast, at my home or working alongside us at the Museum. I just didn’t want us to loose focus on the history of our 1556 work.

Little Paul,

Don’t get me wrong, I take nothing away from our mutual friend. You are older now and have “proven” yourself. Some day maybe we can all get back to working on 1556 together. Maybe you should ask him?

I have just returned from Strasburg from a boiler inspection trip. I have a camera full of new photographs and a head full of encouraging information to share with the Forums. Over the weekend I will put the photos and report together so everyone can see the work on #39 that is progressing. On Friday, November 28th, a van full of RMLI Trustees will be heading down to Strasburg for an in-depth inspection. The project is moving forward!

More later, I promise,
Last edited by n2qhvRMLI on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #602026  by trackit

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Mr rt wrote:My two points:
Since you know so much about what RMLI needs to succeed, I suggest you join up and run for a position on the board and offer to help get the museum to those goals. I'm sure all of the birthday parties that come to RMLI will more than pay for all the restoration projects that are pending.
Otto, I have read some of your posts and they often sound abrasive at times. I'm sure it is said in jest, but I don't know.

I'm not sure who the person you are talking about but leadership is key. If the indian chiefs can't get the indians to dance you are left with indian chiefs. As someone stated earlier, They need something that runs. That will bring in needed dollars. RMLI had an RDC that ran but was sold years ago. All of the coaches are unusable in their current condition and the other pieces look like their in parts all over the place. I brought people from out of town to see the east end of Suffolk County. We visited Atlantis and Tanger outlets. The car races were alot of fun that evening at Riverhead Raceway. We also visited the Riverhead site and it looked abandond. This was about the time when the combine was cut up for scrap. I don't have any answers but they must be focused and on the same page when it comes to restoration. They have come a long way but the road is long.
 #602036  by nyandw

Hi Folks,

I was at the B&O Museum, Smithsonian, and York, England RR Museum. No operating material... RMLI perhaps needs quality material, not quantity.

A suggestion before others go ballistic: I wrote: "...perhaps..."

I do strongly feel that restored static displays cost far less than operating equipment. (Sorry to be so obvious, but it needs to be stated.)

Sidebar: Especially, after Cards comment about $300K to get a project started. BTW: Where's his response to my thread? Hmm....
 #602384  by Hauspiper

It is the same old smoke and mirror RMLI story. The real story is all people want to do is play with their 027 trains that is it oh boy what stupid Lionel car can we can buy this year from Little(who you pay the money to) not Rmli next year is it going to be a Gershaw scarp gon with an MP54 in it? You never know
The Big O
 #602697  by Otto Vondrak

trackit wrote:Otto, I have read some of your posts and they often sound abrasive at times. I'm sure it is said in jest, but I don't know.
I am abrasive at times, I will give you that. Sometimes you have to reign in the daydreaming that all railfans are guilty of from time to time and alert people to the true course of action: GET INVOLVED. Sometimes when you ask pointed questions, the truth comes out. Or people think you're a jerk. Either way, something happens and the conversation moves forward. Welcome aboard, Mr.....?

-otto-
 #602698  by Otto Vondrak

Hauspiper wrote:It is the same old smoke and mirror RMLI story...
The Big O
You seem to be in the know, Big O! Couldn't help but notice you just joined recently. So many interesting folks are coming forward all of a sudden! Can't wait to see what happens next.
 #602724  by nyandw

Hauspiper wrote: :...It is the same old smoke and mirror RMLI story... " The Big O

Otto: :... "You seem to be in the know, Big O! Couldn't help but notice you just joined recently. So many interesting folks are coming forward all of a sudden! Can't wait to see what happens next..."

Here is the post Otto refers to, FYI (BTW: this is Big O's 5th post to the entire forum, thus Otto's comment above) The Big Oby Hauspiper on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 am

Forum: Long Island Rail Road Re: Railroad Museum Happenings?

"...It is the same old smoke and mirror RMLI story. The real story is all people want to do is play with their 027 trains that is it oh boy what stupid Lionel car can we can buy this year from Little(who you pay the money to) not Rmli next year is it going to be a Gershaw scarp gon with an MP54 in it?..."

1. First: Here's a short list of a few folks that do not play Lionel trains, but want RMLI to succeed:

buxtonmach
Boy Scout Tony Breese
n2qhvRMLI Don Fisher, President Railroad Museum of Long Island
Paul Strubeck "Nova 55"
Anthony DeBellis, Jr
Steven Lynch

2. Let's leave the door open: Respond to Otto and the RMLI as to why you you can make the statement and claims in your last post about all their members without data/info/proof, etc?

3. As I have not responded to you on a personal level, and I do not have a quarrel with you, nor an individual disagreement; I hope, we can bypass the usual forum clog, and you answer item #2 above.
 #602775  by Mr rt

Otto suggested: "Since you know so much about what RMLI needs to succeed, I suggest you join up and run for a position on the board and offer to help get the museum to those goals. I'm sure all of the birthday parties that come to RMLI will more than pay for all the restoration projects that are pending."

I've been a BOARD member at Branford for the past six years !

I'm also a firm beliver that a true railfan will join one or more museums & get involved preserving their equipment or in their business operations (Board) vs. chasing trips, i.e. not even buying a ticket.
 #602776  by Otto Vondrak

Mr rt wrote:I've been a BOARD member at Branford for the past six years !
Mr. RT, good to know you're involved with Branford (Electric Railway) on the board level. I think Branford has a different model and situation than RMLI, and some of your good ideas may not apply exactly to RMLI... you may want to have some discussions with them, perhaps there are ways you can help each other out.
 #602778  by Hauspiper

first of all I was a former memeber of RR.net my original sn was lost or something I did not use it for almost 3 years. Some people someone mention have their own agenda. But you look at the bored filled with little people who are the emeny of the equipment. I know my job keeps me away from RMLI but i am tired of comming home and seeing some more toys and the fact also that they were offerd the best example of a class of car left and they could care less because they had visions of some dumb lionel layout in their heads and not a place to display aritifacts and getting more rolling stock on the football feild that is the site.
Mike
The Big O
US Merchant Marine