Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Museum of Long Island happenings?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#601212  by 10lbReduction

Hello group.

I have been reading this forum for many years now, including the old version. I see there is already a dedicated thread for this matter but I think this warrants one of its own.

I have been following the status of all the local RR museum on the island for a long time, but the past few years I have noticed a downturn in activity at the RR Museum in Riverhead. I see they got there own set of M1 electrics, however nothing is mentioned on there website. There is also the P72 and P74 which I see were donated but are now in turn leased to Twin Forks.

This forum used to always be filled with work updates as to the equipment restorations but there hasn't been a peep in ages. Yes, 39 went to Strausburg but what about the rest of it? Is there any plans in the works for finishing the cars? Last time I was in them they were a disaster! I took a trip to Riverhead a few weeks ago to walk around, it looks as if nothing has been touched. 39 has been sitting on jacks for a few years now, Work is needed on the chassis no? Why not concentrate on it?

They have a building filled with so many great artifacts but yet its all sitting untouched. Hell, theres some vintage tools and even a fire cart in there to, why not put this on display? I realize I am not a volunteer there and have no right to complain but seeing this is very discouraging. What are dues going to? Playing with model trains inside? There are so many simple displays that can be settup but it looks like no effort is even being made to. Why not use these forums as a tool for museum project leaders to organize work sessions? Many museums now are going to online blogs where membership can interact and plan carpools and work days and it seems to pay off.

Oyster bay and Twin Forks seem to be making great strides in there equipment. Oyster Bay has an almost working turntable and a preview center and a long term plan set forth. Twin Forks looks to be focusing directly on Caboose 60 instead of jumping around and it looks like the effort is paying off. Both of these groups keep there websites updated with recent progress photos as well.

I hate to put it like this but its just what I see. I realize I am not active in these but not everyone can be and must watch from the sidelines. I am not trying to bash anyone in this or anger anyone but its a shame to see whats happening to LIs heritage.

I look forward to seeing everyones thoughts.

-10lb
 #601329  by CLiner2005

A few years ago, donations were sought to purchase windows for the P72 cars. I responded to this plea and purchased two - one of which was purchased in the memory of a deceased L.I.R.R. engineer. I've not seen any mention of the "window" project for quite some time. Does anyone know the status of this effort?
 #601331  by nyandw

Nice posts guys! There are folks that care and want to move forward, for example:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/riverh ... adRMLI.htm

39 4-6-0 G-5 built by Juanita in 1929
1556 Alco RS-3 built in 1955
7727 is a Class B-62 baggage car built in 1928
399 GE 25 toner built in 1958
200 Doubledecker car built in 1932
C-60 was built in 1961 by the International Railway Car Company
C-63 and C-64 are N22 class Bay Window type Cabooses. Both C-63 and C-64 were built in 1963. Currently, C-63 is used as our tool car, and C-64 is stored for future restoration
110 flatcar built in 1910 for ATSF
W-93 built in 1948 is a Jordan Spreader snowplow
2993 is a P-72 bar car not owned by the museum
2907 is a P-72 Pass car. built 1955
2924, is a P-72 pass car built 1955, end of steam car pulled by 39
7737 circus car
2933 is a P-72 pass car built after 1955 not included in first order cars (2901-2925)
W-85 is a former B&M car used on the LIRR as a bar car and sandite car
The M-1s were built in 1965.
Turntable was built in 1915 for CN

Photos, descriptions, research and designed maps courtesy Anthony DeBellis, Jr. 08/24/2008 unless otherwise noted.

Basically, Anthony provided almost all the info for this webpage to help folks ID the various LIRR equipment on site, I believe never done before. I applaud him.

Note: Paul Strubeck provided the initial Riverhead LIRR Map c. 2008 which was the catalyst for this entire webpage. Thanks again Paul.

My post is to provide info as to what the posters are referring to, illustrate the problem, provide info to folks that have never been to this location, and perhaps provide a better basis to post further on this topic and seek to find some solutions to the valid questions raised by the original posters.

Best,
Steve
 #601365  by BMC

I talked with Don Bender last spring (and who passed away a couple of months ago ...RIP) a retired Engr. & Road Foreman, who volunteered at the museum. He told me that they had to shorten their hours on the weekends due to a dwindling amount of volunteeers available.

If that was happening with their days open to the public, I'm sure they are not doing any better with restoration projects.

Those who might be interested in the 'happenings' may want to think of signing up for some time out there.
 #601371  by hrfcarl

With the museum's collection, have they ever considered becoming an annex of the MTA Transit Museum? As an annex there might a greater souce of funding/exposure and maybe the possibility for excursion runs for special occasions (as the museum does with subway cars).
 #601422  by Otto Vondrak

hrfcarl wrote:With the museum's collection, have they ever considered becoming an annex of the MTA Transit Museum? As an annex there might a greater souce of funding/exposure and maybe the possibility for excursion runs for special occasions (as the museum does with subway cars).
LOL. There's so many things wrong with your suggestion. First, why would they consider relinquishing control of their collection to the MTA? Second, why would the Transit Museum consider taking control of the Long Island collections? Third, what makes you think there is so much money available for such a venture? You're worried about excursions? The MTA Transit Museum is not looking to expand. Even if they came under control of the MTA Transit Museum, then what? Wave your magic wand and... presto- instant train museum? There is no magic cure-all.

Museums are a work in progress and depend on many things, such as time, people, and money. All are always in short supply. As to the state of railroad museums on Long Island, I can't comment specifically.

Keep it civil.

-otto-
 #601435  by Nova55

39s boiler is now in Strausburg being redone..

A group was working on 1556 but the powers that be kinda killed that one and It hasent been touched since me and Don F. wrapped the prime mover up and sealed the leaks.
 #601445  by hrfcarl

Otto Vondrak wrote: First, why would they consider relinquishing control of their collection to the MTA? Second, why would the Transit Museum consider taking control of the Long Island collections? Third, what makes you think there is so much money available for such a venture?
Money (grant/donation request from MTA Transit Museum might carry more weight) and publicity would be the HOPEFUL driving forces for the RRMLI to relinquish control of their collection. The Transit Museum interest would be expanding its colletion to include commuter equipment relevent to the MTA.
Otto Vondrak wrote: You're worried about excursions?
If I am not mistaken, excurisions are one of the goals (that gets longer term by the years) of the RRMLI. Also, if I am not mistaken, the Transit Museum does run excurisions with its collection of subway cars. Would you prefer I use "fan trips" instead? Regardless, I do AGREE they are not as important as preserving the equipment.
Otto Vondrak wrote:The MTA Transit Museum is not looking to expand. Even if they came under control of the MTA Transit Museum, then what? Wave your magic wand and... presto- instant train museum? There is no magic cure-all.

Museums are a work in progress and depend on many things, such as time, people, and money. All are always in short supply. As to the state of railroad museums on Long Island, I can't comment specifically.
I no not have to wave a magic wand, I have visited both sites of the RRMLI multiple times. While I do not think this is a cure-all, as I said earlier, it might give the RRMLI more creditability and publicity which COULD lead to more time, people and money.

Would such a mreger work, I do not know, but I was wonder if it was ever considered.
Last edited by hrfcarl on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #601447  by Paul

In addition, 49 CFR dictates that plain bearing trucks can only operate at Restricted Speed (Max 15 mph on LIRR), so any thought of running in between regular trains on the Main Line is not what any dispatcher would permit.
Please show me in 49CFR this. We run plain bearings all the time. BTW, with the exception of EMD D87BTR and GE 752AH and newer motors, all are plain bearing. I believe the friction bearing mandate is for interchange only.

As far as RMLI goes, knowing first hand, untill they decide what direction to head in, I am afraid nothing will get done. It is sad at least from my prespective on the lack of progress on the 1556 in the last twenty years. Mike and I had that baby running in 1988. Paul & I caught hell just for putting a tarp over the PM to protect it from rain water, I think maybe three years ago? I bet that tarp hasn't been touched. With the exception of the wheels and mandatory air brake work, I think she is as close to being a runner as long as people are willing to do the work. Trust me, I was trying hard to get a few key people to be ALLOWED to work on her under my supervision (23 years as a railway machinist) and yet, we were stonewalled at almost every turn by one individual. Until that one person is removed from the equation, then again, nothing will be done on the 1556.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way, but do SOMETHING!
 #601449  by Otto Vondrak

452 card wrote:Anyone notice that the 39s' boiler is missing? It is being held hostage at Boilermatic in Medford.
No one noticed because it's not "missing" at all.

See photos: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 68#p573168
 #601453  by Paul

A group was working on 1556 but the powers that be kinda killed that one and It hasent been touched since me and Don F. wrapped the prime mover up and sealed the leaks.
Sorry Pablo Jr. I didn't see your post before I did posted mine. Minds Gratis. That was how long ago? And how many hours did I spend with you teaching you and testing you on the theories of what you needed to know? And I even came out to work on the old girl. Three, maybe four years ago? I don't remember. Well, in that time I have gotten one Alco 244,and one EMD 567A up and running, took almost a year off from museum work and I am getting ready to return a F-M back to service, hopefully by mid spring. If ya wanna learn the art and make a difference, come out to here for a few weeks, where we get things done.
 #601454  by Dave Keller

I am saddened to hear of Don Bender's passing. :(

I met him only once at my book signing out at RMLI/Riverhead back in 2004 and we had a very nice, albeit brief, meeting and railroad-related conversation.

Dave Keller

P.S. Sorry this has nothing to do with the topic, but after reading about his death in BMC's earlier post, I felt it warranted comment. DK
 #601455  by Nova55

Ah yes, Thats gotta be about 4 years now..I remember standing in a monsoon on the roof trying to get those upper doors open with you shoving from the bottom. Sitting up till midnight studying the Alco 1600HP Road Switcher Manual...Buying my own tools just to work on 1556..Fun times..Lotsa cookies, to! Remember trying to find the tea bags?? I have since left RMLI as well (after being promoted to BEDT 16 project manager until I left...I got not a damn thing done to it either, nobody cared.) and have been working with the Cornell...it runs, and it runs well...

Little P.
Last edited by Nova55 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #601457  by Paul

To me Dave, your posts are always welcome. Why is Mr. bender's name so famillier to me?

Anyway, back to you Pablo Jr.
Yupp, lots of rain...
...and then there was that waitress, you sly little dog you. :-D
 #601465  by Paul

All I see in the CFR concerning friction bearings is this:
CFR49 § 229.64 Plain bearings.

A plain bearing box shall contain visible free oil and may not be cracked to the extent that it will leak oil.