Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Trolley Museum, Warehouse Point, CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#582663  by ted_roy

ATSF SP,

The CN electric is still at our museum and it was re-painted in 2007. It runs on 1200v not the 600v that our overhead uses, that is why it is "stuffed and mounted". Unfortunately, I cannot find a current image to show off her improved looks. :-D

Ted.
 #582903  by Ham549

ted_roy wrote:ATSF SP,

The CN electric is still at our museum and it was re-painted in 2007. It runs on 1200v not the 600v that our overhead uses, that is why it is "stuffed and mounted". Unfortunately, I cannot find a current image to show off her improved looks. :-D

Ted.
Can't you run it on 1/2 voltage? At the SFTM we run #10 at around 230VDC instead of 600VDC
 #583309  by atsf sp

Ted.
Thanks. I was supposed to come down there last spring, but it was raining and other plans came up. But this piece was of high interest to me.
 #585087  by xtcbct

Every museum has pieces in their collection that don't look good. As for our place looking like an abandoned rail yard....like many say....it does in some respects. The larger visitor's center certainly doesn't look abandoned. I suppose being a volunteer there and liking trains...its hard to see it that way, but maybe the general public does. The important thing is that most of the museum pieces that are historically significant (age wise) are under cover. Not all of the collection is undercover, but most of the more unique/older style cars are under cover. As with all museums...an important realization to have is that not everything will be restored. Its simply not possible in a volunteer organization. Much of the stuff that most people may think is junk is historically valuable. Lots of the stuff that you may think doesn't work at the museum...in fact does work! I'm not trying to personally get upset at anyone here on the forum....but I have heard our museum referred to as a junk yard much too often and many more times than once. It makes the few of us that do volunteer there feel as if our efforts are going un-noticed when comments like this are shared among the railroad enthusiast community. So if you would like to call our museum a junk yard...please come down and help make it appear like a trolley museum. After you volunteer a while, maybe you will see that it's not as easy as just telling someone to go make something look new again. We are the oldest incorporated organization dedicated to preserving trolleys. We were among the first...saving our first trolley car from Hartford in 1940. Please help us continue into the future. There are many things that set us unique from other trolley museums in New England. Every trolley museum has that unique quality that makes them different. We cross public roads with authentic 1920's style railroad crossings. Our signal system is far from anything I have seen at any other trolley museum. They are railroad signals complete with semaphores, dwarf signals, and other different styles. With much of our line being straight, the cars can get some good speed with the right car and the right conditions. I'm not trying to brag about our museum. I'm just trying to share what I think much of the railroad enthusiast community doesn't know. I'm surprised that there aren't more volunteers from forums like this who would have an interest in a trolley museum with such a diverse collection of things. We have tall plans that can only be accomplished with help from folks like yourself who read this.

I would hope that someday in the future, a working alliance could be had between the two trolley museums in the state. Yes, we acknowledge each other's existence, but wouldn't the bigger picture be much better if we applied for grants as one organization? Connecticut is lucky to have two trolley museums and it should be used to each others advantage. It almost seems there is little to no interaction/joint efforts between the two museums. You will hear a little gossip here and a little there but I think in order for the 2 museums to survive longterm...over the next 100 years, it would be great to see them combine efforts, work together, and apply for grants as one body. Maybe i'm dreaming to much here, but I do think it could be done and would benefit both museums immensely.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions about the Conn. Trolley Museum, I would be happy to welcome them and will provide my personal e-mail address if you would like to make contact or volunteer.
[email protected]

Xian
CERA Member
 #585688  by Otto Vondrak

If I could make a suggestion, something that would help contribute to a "neater" first impression... simplify your web site. Make information easier to find. Show off your restored cars right up front! Simpler, easier to read, will make people want to spend more time on your site... and likewise contribute or visit!

Just my .02!

-otto-
 #586103  by xtcbct

Otto,

I have informed the webmaster of the Conn. Trolley Museum website about your thoughts. He is open to suggestions and requests that you could contact him via e-mail with your suggestions about the website? Would you be so kind as to offer your ideas? Here is the e-mail address for contact:

[email protected]

Thanks for the input.
Xian
 #591259  by ted_roy

Rails to the Darkside getting great press and ridership!

CTM carried almost 2,100 riders for the weekend of Oct. 10, 11, 12 & 13. Saturday we carried over 1,000 riders. 506 tickets were sold for the Rails event alone!

See our feature on WFSB 3 in Hartford.....

http://www.wfsb.com/betterct/17720824/detail.html

And in the local press....

Come visit us....

http://www.ct-trolley.org/Darkside/index.html

Ted.

#592834  by xtcbct

1 weekend left for this everyone! Come on down and get scared! Its a lot of fun...but get there early because it gets crowded. Bring the older kids or younger ones if they are brave...they will have a blast! Very few trolley museums do an event like this so now is your chance to take a unique trolley ride in the crisp and dark New England woods. Its just you...the trolley...and the haunted woods! Come on down!

Xian Clere
 #594402  by Ham549

Ted.
Why can't you run it on 600VDC? At the SFTM our car is designed to run on 600VDC but we run it at around 280VDC and it still runs.
 #595019  by polybalt

Why can't you run it on 600VDC? At the SFTM our car is designed to run on 600VDC but we run it at around 280VDC and it still runs
I don't know anything about this particular electric locomotive, but can give a general answer. The basic traction motors and control circuit on an older car will run OK at a substantially lower voltage than the design voltage, but there can be problems with other equipment. If the car is equipped with an air compressor for the air brakes and/or motor-generator set to provide low voltage for auxiliaries, they may not opperate corrrectly at half voltage. There are several 1200v. cars that have been converted by museums to run at 600v. by changing the air compressor and/or MG set to ones designed for 600v, but not changing the traction circuit.

I doubt your car at Shelbourne Falls has an MG set, and don't know if it has air brakes.
 #596033  by Mr rt

CN 6714 is a GE 78 tonner from 1913.
The Point is a trolley line & the tracks are maintained to support that,
i.e. she's realy too big for the line.
They do run a 53 ton Steeple Cab (#18 Baldwin-Westinghouse) with a flat & a caboose onvce in a while, but she's already set up to run on 600 volts.
 #609781  by Gerry6309

Considering what I started this thread as, it is good to see some progress reported on various projects at the Museum. Years ago Walter Sheffield and Fred Talbot started work on PCC 3003, a favorite of mine since it was the least modified "Tremont" car and the only one left with crank windows. Sadly, the project fell by the wayside and the car deteriorated. I know that Walter did some heavy rewiring, but up to that point the car was operational. If ever work resumes, I would be happy to share advice from my PCC experiences with whomever is working on it. It needs a lot of TLC but is the prize as Boston PCC cars go, far better than 3019 at Seashore!