Railroad Forums 

• STEAMTOWN Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#732590  by Montclaire

How about this then, which engine would you most like to see restored to operating condition? Which do you think fits best with the mission of Steamtown and it's intended usage?
 #733817  by limejuice

How about an engine that would be sensible and economical for Steamtown to operate? Neither 2124 or 565 meet this criteria. 3254, 2317, and 3713 do. Personally, I'd like to see CN 47, the 4-6-4T running, but that's clearly unjustifiable. NKP 759 might be a good candidate, but considering that they need to dismantle the fence surrounding the turntable to spin her, and also that there are already several operating or near-operating engines of this type out there, is that really a worthwhile choice? Anything larger (2124) won't fit on the turntable, and won't be economical to operate. Anything much smaller and/or lacking trailing wheels (565) won't get a large enough train over the road and back in a reasonable amount of time. I'd love to see 2124 operate, but it's just not going to happen. I keep hearing that same tired blabber about Steamtown only running Canadian engines, blah blah blah... Consider their roster, and other than 3713 which IS under restoration, what American locomotives are there that would be sensible for them to operate, considering the scope of their operations, their mission, and their future plans?
 #733853  by Montclaire

How seriously are they approaching the restoration of 3713? It was announced ages ago that they would begin on it, and it's still sitting there.
 #734009  by JhnZ33

Montclaire wrote:How seriously are they approaching the restoration of 3713? It was announced ages ago that they would begin on it, and it's still sitting there.
While it has been a "work in progress", work IS being done on the 3713. Snafus happen and the crew must keep the operable engines, well - operable. The closest estimate for operation of the 3713 is looking like 2011. Let's all hope and pray nothing else takes attention away from or throws a monkey wrench in the works of the restoration of 3713 and she fires within the next 2 years.

JP
 #734152  by JhnZ33

Montclaire wrote:Isn't 2317 scheduled to be torn down very shortly?
From what I know, 3713 and Baldwin #26 are the main focus of restoration at the moment. This is/was the last year to see 2317 in operation, as 2317 is at the end of her FRA hours and needs an overhaul. 2317 will likely sit until 3713 and the 26 are back in operation, leaving likely only the 3254 as operable steam for next season.

JP
 #734169  by Montclaire

That's right, I forgot about the Baldwin. Do they have any actual staff working on these, or is it still all volunteer at this point in time?
 #734173  by Montclaire

Here's a photo of engine 26:

Ok, now here is the million dollar question: given the information we have, is it possible that Steamtown will be left without an operable steam locomotive while all this is going on? How many hours does 3254 have left? From what I can gather from the website, Baldwin 26 looks to be 1-2 years away from completion, meaning a potential two seasons without a backup engine should something happen to 3254. Assuming that the Baldwin follows as does everything else, and runs over schedule, can 3254 last a full three seasons of regular duty?

Sure, they always have the diesel, but that's another story...
 #734240  by JhnZ33

Montclaire wrote:Ok, now here is the million dollar question: given the information we have, is it possible that Steamtown will be left without an operable steam locomotive while all this is going on? How many hours does 3254 have left? From what I can gather from the website, Baldwin 26 looks to be 1-2 years away from completion, meaning a potential two seasons without a backup engine should something happen to 3254. Assuming that the Baldwin follows as does everything else, and runs over schedule, can 3254 last a full three seasons of regular duty?

Sure, they always have the diesel, but that's another story...
One would guess that only time will tell. The do have paid employees working on both 3713 and 26 - Mike Tillger is one of them that I know of. Cross your fingers and toes that all goes well and we see these two in operation within the next 2 years.

JP
 #734275  by Montclaire

Well I'm glad to hear that they at least have some paid employees to suppliment the volunteer efforts. I do however think that it may be more fruitful to focus on one engine and get it back on the rails rather than switch back and forth, but I don't know if they're under financial guidelines per the NPS, quarterly release of funding or whatever.

Something else that I didn't see discussed yet, might it be in their interest to simply purchase another operable locomotive? I've been reading posts of other excursions shutting down across the country due to one reason or another, I would have to think that some of these engines do come up for sale. You could argue that it would only serve to guarantee that some of the in-house collection will never be restored, but the excursions are the true bread and butter to Steamtown. Now if they would only treat them as such....
 #734315  by JhnZ33

It's not just having the manpower, it's also the funding for the restoration. From what I know, the 3713 needs roughly $800,000 for the rest of the parts, supplies, labor and third party work. I believe some of that funding is "in the works", but the rest still needs to be secured. I'm not sure if the 2010 convention will help with the funding or not (it may or may not).

I don't think there is any funding to "acquire" any more operable equipment. Since there is a commitment to finish what they have, I don't think there will be either.

JP
 #734481  by Montclaire

Understandable. But they really need to safeguard that they don't wind up in a similar position as they did during the 2009 excursion to the Tunk Viaduct, as noted here:
3254 burned up two main bearings on the return trip and had to be sidelined at Moscow. NPR 514 also burned up one traction motor but was able to pull the cars back to Steamtown. The motor problem must be repaired now as they plan to use 514 for the July 4th excursion to Moscow. Unfortunately it will take some time to repair 3254.
 #734482  by JhnZ33

Montclaire wrote:Understandable. But they really need to safeguard that they don't wind up in a similar position as they did during the 2009 excursion to the Tunk Viaduct, as noted here:
3254 burned up two main bearings on the return trip and had to be sidelined at Moscow. NPR 514 also burned up one traction motor but was able to pull the cars back to Steamtown. The motor problem must be repaired now as they plan to use 514 for the July 4th excursion to Moscow. Unfortunately it will take some time to repair 3254.
One never knows what the future will hold. DL has come to the rescue in the past, so that MAY be an option. Hopefully, things will run smoothly enough with what's available till other power is available.

JP