Railroad Forums 

• Questions about Cumbres & Toltec

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#34272  by coronado

I am considering a trip to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad sometime in mid-August.

I plan to ride the entire line, rather than one of the halfway trips offered.

Is there any advantage to starting at Chama or Antonito or vice versa? Or starting on the train and riding the bus back, or vice versa?

Also, I do plan to spend a night or two in either Chama or Antonito or somewhere nearby.

Does anyone have a preference of one town over the other for lodging, etc? I will be coming from visiting friends in Cimarron, NM... I'm not sure I can make it from Cimarron to the train and back in one day.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

#34472  by Christian S.

corondo:
Hi! I am strasburg475 from railfan.net. I have posted some helpful info on that website for you. Hope it helps! :)

#34827  by Christian S.

Guess I had just posted it on railfan.net and didn't feel like doing it all again so soon.

I don't believe there is a differnce between starting at either Chama or Antonito, since both ends offer great views. Personally, I would begin at Chama, since that is where the main yard is (and what a yard it is!!!). I would also take the bus first because you leave with stronger memories of the train. BTW, one train takes you halfway, the other takes you the rest of the way.

Chama has more lodging options.

#34865  by coronado

Got it... thanks!

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for lodging and dining in Chama?

#39757  by Ken W2KB

Also, a Chama departure is up the steep grade, with longer trains requiring doubleheading.
 #42176  by gravelyfan

I've heard varying opinions as to which way to ride. Personally I like the ride out of Chama climbing the 4% to Cumbres. I didn't mind the ride back on the bus, and the afternoon light at Cumbres is great for roster shots of the equipment stored in the yard. You can pretty much roam around at will as long as you stay out of the shop building.

If you don't care about spending so much time at Chama (but really, that is a big part of the experience for a rail enthusiast), then you can get the bus over from Antonito in the morning and ride the train back to Antonito. There isn';t much going on in Antonito, however, and not nearly as many places to stay or eat.

Cumbres has suprisingly a large number of places to stay, but none are chains. On my recent visit I stayed at Riverbend lodge, about 1.5 miles south of the railroad. This placed was very nice and the room was well appointed, including a small refrigerator. There are three or four other places right in this vicinity.

Closer up towards town are the Branding Iron and Chama Trails End that are both motels, and Chama Suites.

There are three or four B&B's in town, as well as some older style small hotels close to the railroad depot. These are within easy walk of the depot. There is an RV park immediately adjacent to the yard area.

As to dining, the Branding Iron is good for breakfast. For local flavor and high value for dinner, I recommend a visit to Patsy's. It doesn' t look like much from the outside (ie. a house trailer), but looks are decieving! There are a few other places to eat but be advised that not many are open late.

The present schedule has trains out of Antonito on Mon, Wed, Sat & Sun
and out of Chama on Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun. There was doubleheader run last Thursday. On Sat & Sun you can ride halfway to Osier and return to your point of origin. The lunch at Osier is now included in the fare, and is extremely filling and well done.

Locomotives 484 & 487 are currently operable, with 488 expected to be returned to service for the fall season.

I hope your visit turns out well. The C&TS is quite an experience.