Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak E60CP...

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1757  by Komachi

There was a discussion on the previous Amtrak Forum regarding the scrapping of the E60CPs and that one (blanking on the number at the moment) was going to Strasburg for preservation. Is it there yet and did Amtrak send any spare parts from the rest of the fleet to keep it going (or is it going to be a static display?). Just currious.

#1781  by Guest

It has been sitting up there in the yard for a leats a month now. They are still waiting for room I think before it goes over to the museum. Thats all I know. Im sure someone else has more info on it.

#1782  by rob216

Anonymous wrote:It has been sitting up there in the yard for a leats a month now. They are still waiting for room I think before it goes over to the museum. Thats all I know. Im sure someone else has more info on it.
forgot to sign in :)
 #1783  by JJMDiMunno

Komachi wrote:There was a discussion on the previous Amtrak Forum regarding the scrapping of the E60CPs and that one (blanking on the number at the moment) was going to Strasburg for preservation. Is it there yet and did Amtrak send any spare parts from the rest of the fleet to keep it going (or is it going to be a static display?). Just currious.
No spare parts were sent with the unit, however it is operative mechanically, though the museum has no plans to operate the locomotive. It's number 603 actually, and here's a photo of her on #3 yard storage at Strasburg back in Feb, the tape that was previously covering her Amtrak identifying marks now removed:

They are awaiting space availability over at the museum, the locomotive will most likely be on Strasburg property for a while...

Have a good day everyone.

#1971  by rushhour

Great shot there! Its odd to see an E60 with a cov hopper in the middle of nowhere. :D Are all of these engines scrapped now? I believe I heard somwhere that this is the only one left??? This cannot be true!

#2424  by rushhour

geez...

It's a shame that they are all going to be scrapped.

#3437  by jfrey40535

Its too bad it will never run with wires on the Keystone Corridor being right at the end of their line. I'd love to take a steam trip at Strasburg and at the end of the line hop on a E-60 train to Lancaster Station.
There is going to be a station at Paradise someday.....

#3441  by JJMDiMunno

jfrey40535 wrote: There is going to be a station at Paradise someday.....
Yup there is, and sooner rather than later. Funding has been appropriated and all...construction expected to begin by the end of the current year. Also construction of Strasburg's station there to be combined with Amtrak's...they're going to have a turntable there and all. Not that I see what they're going to do with it down there immediatly because there's none on the East Strasburg end that they can use regularly at this time...maybe in the future, but not now...

Take care.
 #4446  by Komachi

Hey Guys,

Just got a response from the guys at the NJT forum...

Besides the aforementioned Amtrak #603, there is one New Jersey Transit (NJT) unit at the New Jersey Transit Museum and there are two former NJT (nee-Amtrak) E60s that went to Navajo Mine Railroad...

So, as of now, there are FOUR units left in existance (unless there are a couple Amtrak units that haven't been sent to the torch yet and could yet be saved...).

#12998  by hsr_fan

I think the Navajo Mine RR in New Mexico may now have three E60's.