Railroad Forums 

• GG-1 Cosmetic Restoration - URHS

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#392130  by jp1822

transit383 wrote:So thats why the Hickory Creek was noticeably absent from its home at Lebanon, NJ earlier this week! I had gone out to see the progress of the GG-1 restoration, but noticed the Hickory Creek was not there.

Just for kicks, here is a photo of the GG-1 that is currently stored at Lebanon undergoing restoration

So what is the scoop with this GG1? Who is the owner and what is the plan for restoration - just for show and not in running mode?
 #393400  by H.F.Malone

So how is this able to be worked on in such close proximity to an active mainline? What about the FRA's "Roadway Worker Safety" rules that are in effect within 25 feet of active track? Are there flagmen posted and notice given to trains? Kind of curious about this, having seen some pics where ladders up against the G are right at the ballast shoulder of the mainline-- pretty close in my book.
 #538856  by chuchubob

H.F.Malone wrote:So how is this able to be worked on in such close proximity to an active mainline? What about the FRA's "Roadway Worker Safety" rules that are in effect within 25 feet of active track? Are there flagmen posted and notice given to trains? Kind of curious about this, having seen some pics where ladders up against the G are right at the ballast shoulder of the mainline-- pretty close in my book.
NJT doesn't operate through Lebanon on weekends.
4877 in 2006 and again in 2008.

#538874  by pennsy

Looking really good, so far. Keep up the good work.

#541927  by GSC

Great to hear of a restoration, but as far as running her, are there any lines left that run the voltage the Gs ran at? A little heavy for a trolley museum, I'd say. (GG1 on 30-lb rail = SQUISH)

#541950  by Tom6921

According to Trains, a GG1 could run on the Northeast Corridor, but all preserved GG1s have had an important piece of equipment removed (can't remember off the top of my head), rendering them inoperatable. If a new component can be manufactured, I don't know.
GSC wrote:Great to hear of a restoration, but as far as running her, are there any lines left that run the voltage the Gs ran at? A little heavy for a trolley museum, I'd say. (GG1 on 30-lb rail = SQUISH)

#541958  by Otto Vondrak

The restoration is a cosmetic one only.

One of the underlying issues is the old transformers were PCB cooled, you'd have to completely gut one of these beasts to update them for operation today.

-otto-
 #575475  by daylight4449

WAIT! Your saying that there is a GG1 being restored! When will it be finished!!!!
 #575863  by Otto Vondrak

No need to wait... been one restored and displayed at Harrisburg, PA station for almost 20 years...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/164 ... 8812_b.jpg

And there's one at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, been there for more than 20 years...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... rr4935.jpg
 #591705  by atsf sp

Otto Vondrak wrote:No need to wait... been one restored and displayed at Harrisburg, PA station for almost 20 years...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/164 ... 8812_b.jpg

And there's one at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, been there for more than 20 years...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... rr4935.jpg
The one at Harrisburg is not in the greatest of condition. It needs new paint and vandals have graffittied the caboose. There are two at the Pennsylvania RR museum. The one that has been there for twenty years and "Old Rivets".
 #619397  by daylight4449

now i just discovered something incredible! when AMTRAK was planing to change the NEC overhead wire frequency form 25mhz to 60mhz, it never happend! my guess, it would be to expensive to either upgrade or build new locomotives, so it NEVER HAPPENED. if a GG1 could be restored to opperational statious, we could have the magaority repaired and in use in excursion service! if thats no viable, a museum (like the smithsonian) could build a track and electricfy the line so the GG1s could be used.