Railroad Forums 

• Does the Strasburg haul freight?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#21580  by Jason W

In the back of my copy of "Road to Paradise" it shows the Strasburg hauling some covered hoppers down the line. This was obviously a long time ago since the caption reads that they are bound for a customer on the Missouri Pacific. Does the Strasburg still haul freight or is it no longer a common carrier? If it does how often, from what customers, and in what capacity. Thanks for any replies...
 #21582  by JJMDiMunno

Jason W wrote:In the back of my copy of "Road to Paradise" it shows the Strasburg hauling some covered hoppers down the line. This was obviously a long time ago since the caption reads that they are bound for a customer on the Missouri Pacific. Does the Strasburg still haul freight or is it no longer a common carrier? If it does how often, from what customers, and in what capacity. Thanks for any replies...
Strasburg does in fact continue to move freight, however at a much lower carload count. They still move those covered hoppers, and they still contain the same material they did then: plastic pellets. Those pellets go to a nearby company that produces car batteries. The freight is moved at a rate of about 1 car per month. Freight generally moves over the Strasburg today behind it's GE 44-ton 33, no longer behind a steam engine as it did back in the good ol' days...however, if Reading 1187 (SRC 4) is restored to service, we may once again see steam moving freight on the Strasburg, as the restoration is being considered with this purpose in mind in addition to others...

Take care.

Mike DiMunno

#23245  by creeker

I was talking to a person this past weekend that works in the shop there and that has looked at the camelback. He says it dosent look promising and if it needs mager repairs it will not be repaired. This is just what i was told.

-signed
Eric

#23925  by Jason W

So I guess the Strasburg is still a common-carrier then and not a non-profit, right? Is their any potential to increase the freight traffic or does the line enjoy enough black ink from the passenger department?

Too bad that the camelback is in bad shape. They aren't my favorite types of engines but any steam is good steam. They are dangerous also, my great great grandfather is buried near a engineer whose tombstone clearly states that he met his end when a shorn main rod of his D,L&W camelback ravaged the cab of his engine. If the engine is repaired I guess speeds on the Strasburg are slow enough that it wouldn't be a problem...

#23948  by JJMDiMunno

Jason W wrote:So I guess the Strasburg is still a common-carrier then and not a non-profit, right? Is their any potential to increase the freight traffic or does the line enjoy enough black ink from the passenger department?
Yes, the Strasburg is still a common carrier, but they are a for-profit. They have no intention of increading freight traffic, but they do enjoy more than enough black ink from their passenger ops combined with work and restoration contracts...

Mike DiMunno

#24540  by Christian S.

Has anyone ever seen a Strasburg Railroad freight train in action? Anyone have any pics of Strasburg freight trains? Has anyone ever seen freight train diesel 33 in action on the mainline? I have :D

#24565  by Urban D Kaye

I've never seen freight on the Strasburg, but a few months back they used the GE to haul that E60 from the Amtk main. From the one pic I've seen, that must've been something...like an ant dragging a dead moth.

#24589  by JJMDiMunno

strasburgtrain wrote:Has anyone ever seen a Strasburg Railroad freight train in action? Anyone have any pics of Strasburg freight trains? Has anyone ever seen freight train diesel 33 in action on the mainline? I have :D
I also have seen this diesel in action on the mainline, but not hauling a revenue freight car of any kind. I've seen it on several occasions, the first being a crew train for one of the Halloween Trains several years ago, and the other time being at the head end of a work train. The photo from the work train day can be seen below.

Take care.

Mike DiMunno

#24635  by Christian S.

Yes, the only time I have seen 33 on the main was on October 2003's Halloween night trains. The train was too long for Leaman Place, so 33 had to pull it so 90 could get to the other side!!!
Nice pic, Mr. Photographer :)

#54799  by Schuylkill Valley

It would look real nice if SRC would paint # 33 back to it`s real paint skeem , It was a PRR center cab locomotive .

Len.

#54822  by JJMDiMunno

Schuylkill Valley wrote:It would look real nice if SRC would paint # 33 back to it`s real paint skeem , It was a PRR center cab locomotive .

Len.
I completely agree...they seem to be hearing in that general direction with their steamers (as they come up for overhaul), so I imagine once they get around to it, they'll paint that back into PRR also. Just not a high priority I believe...though it does need a paint job...

Mike DiMunno

#54848  by rob216

Do you mean something like this.
http://community.webshots.com/s/image8/ ... LPo_fs.jpg

To something like this.
http://community.webshots.com/s/image12 ... VmN_fs.jpg

Im sure that it will look more diffrent then that. Just a little something to share with everyone.