Railroad Forums 

• Scranton's Electric City Trolley - to the ballpark!

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#285992  by aline1969

Has anyone taken a ride yet on # 76 to the ballpark? When I was there in June it only went so far...the long tunnel (Laurel Line) was sweet. Let me know how the ride to the park is...thanks :) any pics?

#287887  by Zhanna

Yes! I'm a volunteer at the museum and I've taken the full ride up to the ballpark, about two weeks ago. It's awesome; you've got to do it! Unfortunately I don't have any photos just yet, but I can try to take some next time I'm at the museum and have enough time to hop on for another ride.

How far did the car go when you took the ride in June? For a few weeks during the summer, power to the second half of the track was turned off while they were completing the line to the stadium. So during this period, the ride was actually shortened; I think it went only through the tunnel and possibly to the small underpass just beyond before reversing.

July 14th was the official opening of the full ride to the park. The ride is about 10 miles round-trip. This section of track features crossing gates at Glenmaura Blvd. and a nice curve and elevation gain when approaching the stadium.

This summer several special trips to baseball games were scheduled. It was so neat to see the trolley being used for real transportation rather than just a tourist ride! And I heard there were jealous stares from motorists caught in heavy traffic both entering and exiting the stadium ... while the trolley just glided right on by.

Waiting "patiently" for her chance to become motorman and take #76 through that tunnel herself...
~Zhanna

#340984  by Otto Vondrak

I think the ride is fantastic... though the reactivated tunnel and out to the ballpark. Amazing. I reccomend the trip to anyone visiting Scranton, it is worth it.

-otto-

#341508  by umtrr-author

I have been waiting for this news! Last time the trolley didn't even get as far as the tunnel for some reason that I don't recall.

Next opportunity for us to be down there is probably not until Memorial Day weekend, but I see a stop there in the plans...

#434529  by Stmtrolleyguy

I was down there just a few weeks ago (my family and I did a 9-day road trip to PA, hitting a number of RRs).

The ride was beautiful, going along some really nice ROW, and the tunnel is really cool. 76 rides like it floats, even at speed. Sounds really good running through the tunnel too. . .

Photos are here
http://picasaweb.google.com/StmTrolleyguy/LaurelLine

#442170  by Mr rt

Scranton is a great mass transportation place !
- Real RxR action
- Steamtown
- Elect. City
- Mine tour via a elect mine cars
- Lackawana Hotel was the towns RxR station

Plus
- Red Barrons baseball team, nice minor league play