Railroad Forums 

• Mainline Excursions on the North-East Corridor

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#264489  by LandDownUnder

Hello all

Will be visiting the United States, coming from Australia, between July 20th until August 18th 2006. Back in Australia, I volunteer extensively for a mainline excursion operator as a passenger attendant, and on my visit to the US, I'm hoping that there may be a Mainline excursion operating anywhere on the North-East Corridor that I could travel on. I'm mainly staying in NJ, although only 30 minutes from Philadelphia.

So my query mainly. In the time that I'm here, will there be any steam and/or diesel Mainline excursions at all, operating out of Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore or Washington that I could travel on. If so, where could I find details and also how to book?

Also, is it rare or common for transit operators, like NYC Subway, SEPTA, MARC, LIRR, Metro-North, NJ Transit, etc to operate 'special' charter/tour trains on their networks? Are there any scheduled in the time I'm here?

Thank you sincerely for any assistance provided.
 #265068  by GeorgeF

LandDownUnder wrote:In the time that I'm here, will there be any steam and/or diesel Mainline excursions at all, operating out of Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore or Washington that I could travel on. If so, where could I find details and also how to book?

Also, is it rare or common for transit operators, like NYC Subway, SEPTA, MARC, LIRR, Metro-North, NJ Transit, etc to operate 'special' charter/tour trains on their networks? Are there any scheduled in the time I'm here?
Rare. Very rare. This writer doesn't know of any at all in your time frame. Closest might be, for transit, http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/museum/programs.htm, and the usual tourist lines. The Western Maryland is the biggest engine operating in the east, I believe: http://www.wmsr.com/. Good luck! (Ah, for the [Norfolk] Southern Steam Special days!)