Railroad Forums 

• Lake Whatcom Railway Questions

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#165663  by Christian S.

I have a few questions about the Lake Whatcom Railway in Wickersham, WA, that I hope someone more knowledgeable about their operations would be able to answer:

-What is the status of their NP 0-6-0 #1070? I had heard it was taken out of service a few years ago, but why? Are there any plans to put her back into service again and, if so, an approximate time when she might return to the rails?

-I had also heard that their line was once longer than it was now, but someone who owned property that they ran over didn't like trains, so the train ride had to be shortened. Do they own the property (or tracks) they run over now, and is it possible that they might be able to re-extend their line back to the way it used to be?

Hope someone out there will be able to fill me in a bit. Thanks!

-Christian S.
 #251329  by Conductor Shellback

NP 0-6-0 #1070 is maintained and operable but cannot be operated on trains because it does not comply with FRA regulations. It is used to supply steam heat to the coaches for the Santa Trains in December prior to their departure from South Wickersham terminal.

One of the neighboring landowners took the railroad to court and and as a result the RR lost about 2000ft. of rightaway splitting the railroad into 2 parts, a 3 mile section running west from Wickersham and half mile section at Park along Lake Whatcom.