Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#949403  by Tom6921

I made it for Founders' day and had a really great time. I got to photograph all the cars and buses I had come to see. I even got a private ride on PCC 2709.
 #949867  by octr202

Tom -

Glad you enjoyed your visit. While some of it wasn't planned until the last moment, we did manage to get quite a selection from the fleet out last Saturday. Some (like 2709 and Twin Cities 1267) aren't pretty now, but gave a good indication of what's going on behind the scenes. 1267 in particular, where the new wood is installed, is really gleaming, if you look past the parts of the car still being worked on.

North Shore 755 ran flawlessly for two days (we had it out Friday as well), and even Chicago 225 made a trip to Talbot Park. There were a possibly record seven (!) cars waiting at Talbot park post parade, as some of the cars that just moved in the yards were returned to storage following the event.

Here's a view of a few cars that were in the parade. I had the pleasure of motoring 3283, the ex-BERy/MTA/MBTA line car (aka the "cheesebox") in the parade, right after it was used for an impromptu live demonstration of it's intended purpose - a wire hanger on the shop lead needed some adjustment that morning.

And it's always good to exercise the PCC car, no matter what it looks like. :)
 #949982  by MBTA3247

My photos of the parade start near the bottom of this page.

A few comments to what octr202 wrote:
Counting 755, there were technically 8 cars at Talbott Park.

The attempt at adjusting the wire hanger was unsuccessful, as the job was found to require more time and effort than could be allowed (there was some talk that the hanger might have also been holding a splice in the support cable - not something you want to mess with on a busy day).
 #950090  by octr202

Nice photos, Derek - both using a real camera (not a Blackberry), and knowing how to use it, helps a lot! Thanks for filling in a lot of the stuff I didn't have a chance to record - like the shots of what it's like to be motoring in the parade...the closest to being back in city traffic most of our cars ever get!

One of our other rr.net members emailed me today to say that 225 made at least one trip today to Talbot Park, so it's return to service may be approaching.

Last year at Pumpkin Patch we ran 5 cars per trip at the busiest periods, and still had crowds waiting. Good to know we could do 7 (if we get an extra paddle made!). :-)
 #958857  by GP40MC 1116

Tom6921 wrote:I have posted my trip report to Boston and Seashore on my website. It can be seen here: http://www.trainweb.org/Tomsrailtravels/
Great photos of your Boston/Maine trip and also from Seashore. You certainly were very lucky to have one of our most respected members lead you around Central and Fairview Yards. Transit Day is also a very popular event at the museum, lots of interesting stuff comes out on that day.

As for the MBTA and a photo policy/permit , here is the details on how that works. A few years back, the MBTA actually HAD a photo permit you would have to apply for (have a background check done by T Police) and a permit would be issued to you. Over the last two or three years, the T has changed that and gone away with the permit itself. However, being a railfan and wanting to take photographs on MBTA property, is allowed and is not illegal. Here is a PDF policy from the Transit Police Department that explains everything. It can be found at the bottom of this post. For non-commercial/railfan photography, NO permit is needed, and all you need to do is just be safe on T property and not go into Non-public areas or cause harm to yourself or others. Just bring a valid ID and a copy of this policy with you to show a Transit Police officer or Supervisor if you are stopped and questioned.

It amazes me that all MBTA employee's are not educated on an official policy of the agency they are employed by. Even more so, seeing how this policy ties into Safety and Security, you would think that it would be a top priority of the MBTA's.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About ... cy%201.pdf
 #960683  by Tom6921

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
Tom6921 wrote:I have posted my trip report to Boston and Seashore on my website. It can be seen here: http://www.trainweb.org/Tomsrailtravels/
Great photos of your Boston/Maine trip and also from Seashore. You certainly were very lucky to have one of our most respected members lead you around Central and Fairview Yards. Transit Day is also a very popular event at the museum, lots of interesting stuff comes out on that day.

As for the MBTA and a photo policy/permit , here is the details on how that works. A few years back, the MBTA actually HAD a photo permit you would have to apply for (have a background check done by T Police) and a permit would be issued to you. Over the last two or three years, the T has changed that and gone away with the permit itself. However, being a railfan and wanting to take photographs on MBTA property, is allowed and is not illegal. Here is a PDF policy from the Transit Police Department that explains everything. It can be found at the bottom of this post. For non-commercial/railfan photography, NO permit is needed, and all you need to do is just be safe on T property and not go into Non-public areas or cause harm to yourself or others. Just bring a valid ID and a copy of this policy with you to show a Transit Police officer or Supervisor if you are stopped and questioned.

It amazes me that all MBTA employee's are not educated on an official policy of the agency they are employed by. Even more so, seeing how this policy ties into Safety and Security, you would think that it would be a top priority of the MBTA's.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About ... cy%201.pdf
Thanks. I hope to come to Transit day, though I have plans around that time this year. Maybe in the next year or two. Hopefully I'll be able to ride the Edmonton trolley and some other Canadian buses.

I am aware of MBTA's photo policy. When I first came in 2008, I had a laminated copy of it on me though I didn't have to pull it out. I have sent MBTA a complaint in regards to what happened on the day I left Boston, though they haven't replied at the time I'm posting this.
 #962790  by octr202

I haven't been up in a couple weeks, but I believe some cars needed to move in/out of Highwood barn. I know that 1160 is waiting for wheel work (on a shop truck or wheelset while one is out for work), and it's been moved to Highwood barn to make room in the shop.

A lot of equipment moved this year to accommodate work on Fairview barn (one of the storage barns in the back of the property, not open to the public), which left space tight around the rest of the property. Ideally, two or all three tracks in front of Highwood would be open to access the barn, run shuttle cars, etc., but they've been display space for the newer T equipment this year instead.
 #962796  by ck4049

I have not been up to the museum AT ALL in 2011, im really disappointed about that! I am planning on going to Members Day, Pumpkin Patch(working), and Tranist Day so far so I should be up there pretty soon. :)
 #965166  by Tom6921

Did the Boeing move under its own power or was it towed. I'm sure the Hawker cars were moved under their own power.
mbta1073 wrote:The Boeing LRV 3424 and the Hawker cars have been moved around lately!!! Also, Members Day is on the 17th of September!
 #965249  by ck4049

I believe the Hawkers moved on their own motors but the 3424 had to be towed because it does not have poles yet.
 #965400  by Gerry6309

For the benefit of anyone who wants to visit Seashore on Sunday Aug 28:

In the interest of everyone's safety, the Museum will be CLOSED due to the approaching storm. Barring unforseen circumstances we will reopen Monday at the usual time.