Railroad Forums 

• B&O Railroad Museum

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#109201  by gitrplaya5u

I am planning on going to the museum in the summer and I was wondering: do they let you go inside the cab of the locos on display??

Zack

#113411  by CSX Conductor

When did it re-open?
 #113550  by Christian S.

The B&O Railroad museum reopened in November 2004 after the roof collapsed during a heavy snowstorm earlier in the year. Some of the equipment still has minor damage. I believe you cannot access any of the locomotive cabs, except for maybe a few outside.

#131964  by TomNelligan

I was there this weekend, which was billed as a grand re-opening following the roof collapse and marking the opening of the museum's new restoration shop, with music and food and other entertainments as an attraction in addition to the collection. The rebuilt Mount Claire roundhouse itself looks wonderful, although four damaged locomotives and one passenger car are in a glassed-off area with signs indicating the anticipated cost of repairs for each -- no doubt an understandable attempt at fund-raising.

I hadn't been to the B&O Museum in about five years, and what was sadder to me than the aftermath of the roof collapse was the increasingly distressed condition of many of the locomotives that are stored outdoors. While some, like the Western Maryland F7, are in great shape, all too many (like all of the B&O steamers) show the effects of weather exposure in the form of faded paint and visible rust. I'm not an expert on locomotive preservation, but clearly the rusting is an issue that needs to be dealt with soon, and yet at this point the museum doesn't appear to have the money. Hopefully anyone else who's in the Baltimore area will have a chance to stop by and contribute at least your admission fee to help these guys get back on track.

#134638  by chuchubob

I was there on May 29. We were allowed in the cab of at least one locomotive. Most have 'please keep off' and 'please do not touch' signs.

My photos of the Museum and Baltimore traction are in this album:

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Baltimore

Bob