Railroad Forums 

• HO Mantua 4-4-2

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#86802  by kevinknobl

I own a Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic, PRR 7002. Model dates back to late 1980s, I believe.

It still runs well, however, the trailing truck seems to jump the tracks going through curves. I currently have an 18" radius curvature on my layout.

Was wondering if anyone else had run into this, and if so, whether the had a solution to it.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or ideas.

Kevin

#86818  by keeper1616

only 18"? I have a min 16" radius on my N scale track and still have problems... I think the radius would be most of the problems, also check the trucks and axles to make sure they are not too loose.

#86871  by Chuck Walsh

I have a 4-6-2. There is a tension spring between the top of truck and frame.
Do you have one or is it missing?

#86876  by kevinknobl

Chuck Walsh wrote:I have a 4-6-2. There is a tension spring between the top of truck and frame.
Do you have one or is it missing?
The tension spring is intact and in place.

Kevin

#87320  by Chuck Walsh

That's strange. My steam problems has always been the pilot, not the trailer
if my track were less than(is) perfect.