Railroad Forums 

• Correct horn location on UP SD50

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#86422  by Kevin B.

I just picked up a new Proto 2000 UP SD50. Life Like put the horn (for some reason) on the cab. After looking at some prototype photos, I have noticed that is not the correct location. I want to move it, but am not 100% sure where the correct place is. On most modern locos, it is in the center of the section of hood that covers the actual prime mover, but on the SD50 photos I've seen, it seems to be farther back on the hood than that. If someone could clarify this for me it would be much appreciated!

#86543  by trainiac

...About here:

http://trainiax.0catch.com/upsd606024.gif

It's centered side-to-side, and is placed on a small "pedastal" a few inches high.

I have seen SD50s with horns on the cab, and I think their location just in front of the radiator fans is a UP modification that was later adopted by the loco builders.