Railroad Forums 

• removing paint from plastic shells

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1046140  by ex Budd man

I want to strip some old TYCO and Athern diesel bodies, any suggestions? I heard of brake fluid and laundry detergent. What works best?
 #1046210  by Ken S.

Was it ever explained how to get the out of scale lettering off of the Bachmann Amfleets without damaging the paint on them?
 #1046238  by Mirai Zikasu

I soak my stuff in 91% isopropyl alcohol like Steve. Depending on how the paint is though, you should be able to start scrubbing it off without too much time. Usually half an hour is all I find something needs. A longer soak will make it easier to come off, and older stuff seems to stick more than newer pieces. (i.e. Early 2000 Walthers Amfleets were easy to remove paint from, and the decals almost fell off immediately, but early 1980s Bachmann Amfleets took forever to remove paint from.) To remove it, I usually just rub my hand over it gently to scuff things off or take a sponge or rag--something that won't damage the paint. It's the safest thing for plastic as there's no chance of damaging it.
Ken S. wrote:Was it ever explained how to get the out of scale lettering off of the Bachmann Amfleets without damaging the paint on them?
If you're trying to remove numbers from the numberboards, you might be able to apply some MicroSol with a tiny brush, let that dissolve the decal, and then gently scratch it off when it's soft. If you're trying to remove the car classes (Coach, Cafe, Coachclass, etc.), it's best just to strip off the striping and redo it with Microscale striping & designations as the Bachmann detail is horrible on everything except Acela Blob Phase V.
 #1047074  by green_elite_cab

peanut1 wrote:I used nail polish remover and the paint came right off.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't ever do that. nail-polish remover is just as likely to destroy the plastic as it is the paint. True, some models can handle it, but many will warp and deform once you've exposed them ot nail polish remover. Trust me, I've learned the hard way.
Mirai Zikasu wrote:If you're trying to remove numbers from the numberboards, you might be able to apply some MicroSol with a tiny brush, let that dissolve the decal, and then gently scratch it off when it's soft.
Don't ever do that either. Scratching runs the risk of damaging the underlying finish. Use Walthers Solvaset, its stronger than MicroSol. Then use a "Hi-Polymer" eraser. Thats what it says on the eraser, so I'm assuming thats what its called. The high polymer is only slightly abbrassive, only taking off a little at a time. However, it does work relatively well if you give the solvaset time to soak (~15 minutes undisturbed).

Now, Some bachmann products have a different printin method, so be careful. If you see the area around the letters start to wear away faster than the actual letters, stop. Just make sure the model is flat (no raised printed area), and find a similar paint color to patch over it.

Mirai is probably right abbout just repainting the whole car, but I can understand how that might be a bit much for people who just want to make small alterations.
 #1083207  by Montrealrail

I have a Athearn blue box heavy weight passenger car,the painted with some bad spots,and I want to ask wath should I use to remove the paint,cause I want to repeint it to make the CN wet noodle Harisson business car
 #1083231  by Eliphaz

as said above, 91% Isopropyl alcohol will remove most paint. Might need to soak for 12 hours, then use a tooth brush to work in the details.
Another product I like is Chameleon paint remover. maybe you can find it your local hobby store.
 #1083240  by Backshophoss

The only "safe" material to use is Isopropyl Alcohol with an alcohol wipe to remove paint.
ANYTHING else can create unwanted problems!!

With Athearn blue box,as long as you remove all the factory printed lettering,
the paint will become the primer coat for whatever your plan to do!!