Railroad Forums 

• LIRR DM30 in HO scale?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1037665  by peanut1

Hello,
I am looking for a specific model in HO scale for LIRR. Is their anybody who produces a model of the LIRR DM30? I know island model works produces the model of a DE30 which I plan on buying once I have a job and money. Any help is better than nothing. Thanks in advance.
 #1037711  by jwhite07

Other than the third rail gear, the DM30 and DE30 are identical. Commercial detail parts for the needed third rail gear might be difficult to find a source for (I doubt there is an exact part for a DM30), but an acceptable stand in shouldn't be hard to scratchbuild from styrene. Simple box shape painted grayish white, piece of square styrene rod painted red for the shoe beam, tiny protruding rust-colored piece for the shoe itself, and maybe some bent wire representing the power cables. Or just number a DE30 in the 5xx series and hope nobody looks any closer. ;-P

[edit] Decent pic (not mine) of the third rail gear for reference: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2082202
 #1053472  by M1 9147

Mike,

I sent you an email, and my friend John is taking on my project for me finally after a couple of years shelving it. If your email has changed from your yahoo, please email me directly at my aol, if not, both mine, and my friend Johns, should be in yours, thanks.
 #1054051  by M1 9147

Mike, and others, one thing I want to hint is the shell is the exact perfection of the DM30AC with the smaller type fuel tank on the engineers side! DE30AC's (exact carbon copy) is smooth side on both sides on the bottom at the fuel tank! If anyone wants photos, please let me know, and I will post it! Also, my model that Mike provided me is being made into the "as delivered" version where the original location of the horn was on top towards the middle on the engineers side, however to accomplish that, you have to cut a hole on top, and add styrene. I will provide photos when my model is finished as a couple of fellow volunteers from the Railroad Museum of Long Island are helping me out with this.
 #1054054  by M1 9147

And not to knock Joe's model, but Mike's model is the exact hybrid!