Railroad Forums 

• Odd Peco Insulfrog/DCC Issue

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1037565  by Cadet57

I have a number of Peco Insulfrog turnouts on my layout. All work great except one. When you align the point for the outer rail the trains clear it just fine. As soon as you switch the points to go to the inner rail it cuts power to the track and everything stops. Never had a problem there until I installed that turnout (had a standard atlas snap switch there before). Wiring and rail are connected properly, points and frog are clean and free of debris. Any ideas? Also, system is an NCE powercab. Locos are running NCE and Digitrax decoders.
 #1037675  by glennk419

Cadet57 wrote:I have a number of Peco Insulfrog turnouts on my layout. All work great except one. When you align the point for the outer rail the trains clear it just fine. As soon as you switch the points to go to the inner rail it cuts power to the track and everything stops. Never had a problem there until I installed that turnout (had a standard atlas snap switch there before). Wiring and rail are connected properly, points and frog are clean and free of debris. Any ideas? Also, system is an NCE powercab. Locos are running NCE and Digitrax decoders.
Certainly sounds like a defective switch which is shorting out when you move the points. Have you tried using a meter to see if there is a short? You may have to remove the switch to make the test or at least remove all locomotives and any illuminated rolling stock which could give a false reading.