Railroad Forums 

• Bachmann EZ Command. Dead?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1036712  by Archer

Hi, this is my first post and I think this is the correct area.

I played with trains as a kid and have some fond memories. I recently dug out my old stuff for my sons and bought some newer engines, track and cars as well.

I saw the Bachmann EZ Command DCC setups and decided that, because my sons are four and five, it was the best for my needs. Well here is the issue.

Both of my current DCC engines run on DC and I can register them (assign to channel) to the EZ commander (engine moves), work the lights and nothing more. I think the controller is defective but just wanted some second thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Kevin
 #1036907  by umtrr-author

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the forum. This is the right place for this question.

I am by no means a Bachmann EZ-Command expert, but I can tell you that Bachmann has a pretty generous warranty program for locomotives, which I think (hope?) might extend to their electronics.

There is a forum that Bachmann itself hosts where you might be able to get some further information as to troubleshooting the EZ-Command. It's here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php

Here's a couple of questions I would ask:
- You mentioned that the locos run on DC. Is this with the EZ-Command or another source of power?
- Did the locos ever run on DCC at all with the EZ-Command? If so, I would suspect that the EZ-Command is the problem.
- Can you try the locos on DCC on someone else's layout? Though the systems are not compatible with each other, in general any DCC-equipped loco will run on any DCC system (Bachmann, Digitrax, NCE, Lenz...) so if you can locate another modeler or a club layout in the area you might be able to try the locos out there. Another possibility is where you bought the locos, depending on whether they have a setup to test. I don't think that the locos-specifically, the decoders- are the issue, but it would be nice to eliminate that variable.
 #1036980  by Archer

umtrr-author wrote:Hi Kevin, and welcome to the forum. This is the right place for this question.

I am by no means a Bachmann EZ-Command expert, but I can tell you that Bachmann has a pretty generous warranty program for locomotives, which I think (hope?) might extend to their electronics.

There is a forum that Bachmann itself hosts where you might be able to get some further information as to troubleshooting the EZ-Command. It's here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php

Here's a couple of questions I would ask:
- You mentioned that the locos run on DC. Is this with the EZ-Command or another source of power?
- Did the locos ever run on DCC at all with the EZ-Command? If so, I would suspect that the EZ-Command is the problem.
- Can you try the locos on DCC on someone else's layout? Though the systems are not compatible with each other, in general any DCC-equipped loco will run on any DCC system (Bachmann, Digitrax, NCE, Lenz...) so if you can locate another modeler or a club layout in the area you might be able to try the locos out there. Another possibility is where you bought the locos, depending on whether they have a setup to test. I don't think that the locos-specifically, the decoders- are the issue, but it would be nice to eliminate that variable.
Well this is the story:)

One of the engines: DCC-Equipped GS4 4-8-4 & Tender with Operating Headlight ( http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ ... uctId=1556 ) and the other is a HO RTR VERANDA TURBINE W/TENDER, UP #65 ( http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH88667 ) with a NCE D13SRJ ( http://www.ncedcc.com/images/stories/ma ... srjv35.pdf ) Decoder. I assigned them Channels 1 and 2 respectively with the EZ Command and they did move to let me know they accepted the channel, I could turn the front and rear lights on but that was it after that, nothing more. I then decided to test a DC engine on the unit but got nothing other than the hum from my DC engine. After this point I tried the pass thru to see if the socket was carrying Amperage. Well the AC carrier was working and the engine was functioning. I then tested the units on a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra on the channels assigned them by the EZ commander and they functioned without fail.

Neither had been run on DCC before this so there was no advanced programming done previously and at least the Bachmann should have run fine. I will test one more time and then email Bachmann for an RMA.
 #1037748  by green_elite_cab

Did you give the locomotives an Address? The default address is usually 3.

You probably need to assign a particular address to a particular "channel" (this is confusing to me because DCC doesn't really involve channels like RC cars or aircraft).

Usually, you would assign your locomotive an address that matches the loco's road number. This would be programmed into the decoder, and now where ever it goes, the locomotive will respond to that address
 #1037876  by Archer

green_elite_cab wrote:Did you give the locomotives an Address? The default address is usually 3.

You probably need to assign a particular address to a particular "channel" (this is confusing to me because DCC doesn't really involve channels like RC cars or aircraft).

Usually, you would assign your locomotive an address that matches the loco's road number. This would be programmed into the decoder, and now where ever it goes, the locomotive will respond to that address
Yup addressed them 1 and 2. The Bachmann assigned them the addresses (confirmed by movement) but I could only control the lights. I bought the Digi and they ran fine on 1 and 2 (I did not program them to 1 and 2 on the Digi.