Railroad Forums 

• Is there a way to convert European HO couplers to Kadee?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#82783  by jmp883

Wow, interesting couplers! The best thing to do would be to remove, if possible, the existing couplers and draft gear boxes and then try to engineer a new mounting for whatever coupler you wish to install.

Of course, speak to your hobby shop staff. They may offer some tips. Not sure what you'll find on the Kadee or Micro-Trains websites.

Not much useful here, but I hope it helps.

#83219  by Xplorer2000

I believe there is a Proto-2000 NEM adapted coupler, or Bachmann EZ-whatever. I've seen them in the Walthers 04, cataloge, and the E-R Imports Amtrak Talgo TP 200's had them . It plugs into the coupler box on the car in place of the European couplers.
 #83439  by catch

Hey!
These are FLEISCHMANN Profi couplings, normaly put in into NEM pits. (NEM is the european modellrailroad standard) I had a equal problem, to have some US coaches and the need to connect them to my locos with NEM pit. There are Kadee couplers for the such NEM pits, so you can use european rolling stock with usual us-couplers.
But to have these Fleischmann to put into us rolling stock, I don't know anything if this is available.

Happy new year to all!

#86118  by dinwitty

consider if they are truck mount or body mount, many european layouts may have sharp curves everywhere and long body cars dont run well with body mounted couplers.

you will need to pull the trucks off and design your own couple plates to mount the couplers, but there should be some couple conversion for truck mounts somehwere, Kadee may have truck mount bolster retrofits.
 #91075  by joe aloia

International hobby corp. has a coupler that is called "MagicMate". They
call it a universal coupler, it mates with EZ mates,Talgo,xaf,and horn hook .I tried them between ez mates and horn hook,and they worked real well.They sell for $4.95 and you get 4 sets.I cant say that they will work ,but go for it.