Railroad Forums 

• How do you install working HO ditch lights?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#81307  by Mike Roque

TerryC wrote:Howould you put working ditch lights on a model locomotive?
Assuming you have the actual lamps/LEDs installed in the ditch light stanchions, it's pretty easy if you're running DCC. You just need a decoder with at least two functions (one for each light), but you'll probably want a four-function decoder (One for each headlight, front/back; one for each ditch light).

It's as easy as connecting the lamps to the proper function outputs on the decoder. There should be instructions in the decoder's manual...

However, I'm guessing from your post that you're not running DCC...?

#82570  by TerryC

Not yet webmaster.

keep asking keep learning
HAPPY NEW YEAR
 #83404  by Mike Roque

OK...

You'll need a circuit to make the ditch lights work and actual scale ditch lamps on the front/back of the engine (They make pairs of lamps with wired bulbs that you can just add on to an engine). Take a look at these...

http://www.accuratelighting.com/HOscale ... ghting.htm

#86545  by trainiac

I'm testing a system that I'll soon be applying to much of my locomotive fleet-- if it works well. I'm using fibres from a cheap fibre optic lamp to route light from a central location in the long hood to under-platform ditch lights. I drilled two small holes near the steps to send the fibres through in bunches. I'm testing it on an Athearn GP40-2 where there's enough room between the chassis and the shell to curve the fibres under the platform (thin fibres curve easily). The source of light will be a 1.5V flashlight bulb hooked to a homemade diode-bridge constant lighting circuit (great money-saver when there's a locomotive fleet to illuminate!).

Speaking of which, a constant lighting circuit isn't too hard to make--it can even be done without soldering (although it's a bit of a stretch and I solder mine). All you need are six diodes:

http://www.mrollins.com/constant.html