• DCC reversal problem with HO Atlas C40-8W

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by zablocki22

I got 6 of the Atlas C40-8W's (2 each of Conrail,CSX and Santa Fe)

I installed a Lenz LE1014MP decoder in one of the Conrail's and when doing the test on address 3 it ran in reverse.

Did I plug it in reverse inadvertently??? No, pin #1 (orange) goes to the socket pin marked with the 'arrow'.

OK, do I have a defective decoder? Tried a second and third and they all do the same. Put the same decoders in the standard cab C40'8s and they run fine.

Proceeded to do all 6 units and they all run in reverse. One person suggested from Trainorders.com to reverse the motor leads (which I haven't done yet) but then i believe there will also be a headlight direction problem that would have to be changed through the CV's.

I eventually reprogrammed CV29 to run the unit in reverse which would then move it forward. Confusing...isn't it???

Any one else come across this??? Just wondering...

Jingles Nadies!!!

Vincent

by CIOR

Did you try flopping the decoder around? Just a thought. If that doesn't work, try reversing the feeders from the trucks to the board. Just a thought.

Other then that, I don't have a clue.
  by zablocki22

For the heck of it, I did try last week the 'flip the decoder around' bit.

None of the headlights would go on (front or rear).

I still have not had the opportunity to switch the motor leads.

Main point is though if any one else has gotten these units and if they have had the same problem when using DCC.

Vincent
  by Mike Roque

CIOR wrote:[...]try reversing the feeders from the trucks to the board.
Yes, you can either reverse the motor leads or change the CVs to alter the direction considered "forward"...that's what they're there for.

My advice would be to reverse the motor leads, if possible...then you don't have to remember that it's "backwards" in case you change the decoder. Even so, changing CVs isn't a big deal either...

by CIOR

In any event, its a major blunder on the "Atlas Quality Control" end of it!
I am shocked that nothing has come from them about this.