Railroad Forums 

• Modeling a ALP-45DP,with model should I use?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1006955  by Montrealrail

I expecting a project to modeling a ALP-45DP to add to my AMT roster

But I noticed that the ALP-46 are a model enough close to de one I want to model,but I'm searching from with model I should start my project..

I'm asking to everyones to have good tips to find the model,or if the NJT ALP-46 are available in HO scale..
to give idea of what I want to model,it's this locomotive..

#1007037  by jetfan

To the best of my knowledge, a model doesn't currently exist of this engine. We plan on producing one in the future, however it wouldn't be until the summer or fall as we have other projects ahead of it. We currently produce the Alp-46, however it would require a ton of work to make into the Alp45. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, it's just that there are many differences between the two. If you do you make one, please post images to show us your efforts.
Joe

http://islandmodelworks.com/PL42.html
 #1007165  by Montrealrail

ALP46 have two cab,one on each end,and I will have to take one of by covering it to made a full extended cab,and I will have to remove the first pantograph and redo the roof..A good kitbashing to do...
I'm expecting to go in few days to a hobby store that have a good selection of European models,some OBB are close to the ALP model,I will keep and eye on those model..

but if you expecting to producing the ALP45DP in the next 2 years,you will have aready one consummer to buy one....

But that give me a much better idea about wath I can expect in my project..
 #1007264  by ns3010

This would be an extremely difficult project, and is probably not worth doing, since Joe will be producing them in the relatively near future.

Although the styling is the same, the bodies are not the same. On the 45, the angled sections just below the roof line are taller and I think steeper, and the roof is almost level with the top of the pantograph when lowered (the pans are in a recessed section of the roof). On the 46's, the pans are entirely on top of the roof. Also, the 45's are significantly longer, I think by around ten feet. It's enough to make a difference, especially when you take one of the cabs off the 46.

For me, I would rather just wait until I could get the kit, rather than spend the time and money to cut up another expensive kit and do extensive modifications. However, if you want to do it, there's no reason not to, and, like Joe said, we would all love to see it!
 #1007308  by jetfan

NS3010 has some valid points with the size difference between the two, you may be able to make something close, albeit shorter, using the BR101 from Piko or Rocco as your base shell, which the Alp-46 is based off of. As for size differences, the ALP-45d is 9 feet longer, 2 inches narrower, and almost 2 feet taller than the ALP46. Fortunately, there's not much in the way of details on the sides of the locomotives nor on the roof, so it can be accomplished with some effort on your part, provided that you are good with an exacto, and a miter saw as you will have some hacking in your future. The good news is that we produce the coaches already and all that has to be done to them is to remove a small strip on the end doors to make them accurate for AMT. Have fun with your endeavor.
Joe
 #1007313  by jetfan

After looking at the two for a few minutes, it might not be too difficult to get a reasonable facsimile. You can start with the ALP-46(it's closer to the ALP-45DP than the BR101) you will have to cut off the one end, just behind the side door, removing the cab window and end. Using a piece of styrene, fabricate a new end - there's not too much in the way of detail there as you can see in your pictures. You could make it the size of the BR101 so that you can use the same chassis, or if you wish to make it the correct length, you would have to modify the chassis and extend the drive shafts to power the rear trucks. To extend the roof, just add styrene to raise the height about 2 feet following the same roof angle. If you look at the images, you will notice that the front part of the ALP-45DP is essentially the same height as the ALP-46, the height increases once you get past the side door. You will have to fabricate two strips of styrene to represent the section that encloses the horns above the cab. You can cut off the roof along the side seam so that you could reuse the grilles on the side of the ALP-46, cutting the roof at the seam just beyond the door - it is essentially in the same location on the ALP-46. You would cut off the section between the two seams on the sides - on either end, this would be at the outer edge of the two large grilles. This would be the cut out section where the pantograph goes. The roof on the ALP-45DP doesn't have too much detail up there, some fans and a few grilles - you would need to reference photos, I have some, they are buried at the moment, sorry. Then you just have to paint it up in AMT colors. Good luck.
Joe
 #1390463  by fl9m2026

No need to kit-bash or scratchbuild. Your prayers have been answered, by Atlas, of all makers...
http://www.atlasrr.com/commuter/NJT/#.V3IZGfkrLX4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1422533  by green_elite_cab

Not only that, but they have just announced the AMT version. I got my NJT model yesterday, super fun! My main complaint is the pantograph, but most people don't use them anyway. Installing the grab irons will be interesting as well.
 #1422848  by Amtrak207

I agree on this, the grabs should have been pre-installed from the factory. For the price of these engines, I feel that should have been standard (as with most offerings nowadays.) Just look at what Rapido does.

Tom