Railroad Forums 

• Need advice on planning first HO layout

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#78524  by billjo4

HELP!!!
I recently bought an HO train set for my 7 yo nephew and we have built an 8x8 foot train table, so we have plenty of acreage to work with, the construction crew is chomping at the bit to get this road built and running but we don't have any blueprints. Are there any veteran railroaders out there who could lend us some expertise???

#79773  by SRS125

What kind of info are you looking for in general?

#79843  by AmtrakFan

I would get an Atlats Book that talks about layouts for beginners. What scale?

John
 #83701  by jmp883

Billjo4,

Welcome to the hobby. I know this post is a bit past the others but I thought I'd pass my thoughts along.

A previous post recommended Atlas trackplan books. An excellent choice. There are several, browse them at your local hobbyshop or online, they offer not only trackplans but great beginner information as well. Kalmbach Books, in addition to Model Railroader magazine, also offer several trackplan books and beginners guides to model railroading.

Don't be afraid to alter what you see in a trackplan. Also, don't feel you have to fill every square inch of the table with track. My layout is N-scale, but check out the link anyway, maybe it'll give you some ideas/inspiration.

It's a great hobby, have fun with it!

#84171  by Otto Vondrak

Hi Bill, and welcome to the hobby!

First off, you're lucky you're in Buffalo. You've got a couple of great hobby shops there and a really first-class model railroad club- The Buffalo Model Railroad Club. Any of these guys could help you get started. Check out your local hobby shops for books and magazines targeted to the beginner- books that tell you how to build a complete railroad from start to finish.

Dont get overwhelmed when you visit the BMRRC for the first time- its a lot of railroad. But, it's built by several guys over a period of years. But definitely use them for inspiration.

And of course, feel free to use RAILROAD.NET for any questions you may have about model or real trains.

-otto-

#84307  by Camelback

A few things to consider:

An 8 by 8 table will need another three to four feet on each side, basically a room size layout. If you have the space consider a shelf type layout that uses three of the four walls with long, narrow benchwork in the middle to connect the layout for continuous running. In the long run, this will be easier to maintain than a table style layout that is larger than a ping pong table. A shelf type layout will also give you larger radius curves, essential if you are in HO and wish to run passenger trains.

Two books I would recommend are by Iain Rice. They are called Small, Smart and Practical Trackplans and Mid-sized and Manageable Trackplans. These layouts are outstanding and will maintain your interest.

The biggest mistake people make when designing their first layouts is making continuous runs their main criteria. You are likely to get bored with a circular or figure eight type of layout that serves no industries regardless of how well done the scenery is. Children like continuous running layouts but adults tend to get bored with their layouts unless they can run trains in a prototypical manner. There are, however, many great trackplans out there which incorporate both options.

Another thing to consider is that while a given trackplan might be designed for a certain region of the country and a certain style of railroad there is no reason it cannot be modified to do something else.

#86116  by dinwitty

your layout should have a meaning for being, but be fun and entertaining for all.
Check out various layour books, check with the hobbyshop for any nearby clubs and visit them.