Railroad Forums 

• Layout environment

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#76153  by thrdkilr

The thread about basements got me wondering what the parameters are for an HO layout. What is the maximum temperature range? What about humidity? Sunlight? Thanks in advance...

Mac

#76199  by Camelback

HO scale layouts do best with consistant temperature. The track expands slightly in warmer temperatures. If you plan on soldering your flex track you must allow for these seasonal differences. Some people will use a business card to create a space between the rails when soldering during a cooler season. If the track expands too much it will kink. Allow for this if your basement is not climate controlled. The seasonal variations will be even more extreme if your layout is in a non climate controlled attic. I prefer not to solder my flex track. This allows me to make adjustments during various seasons.

If you have a humid basement invest in a dehumidifier before you put down ballast, lichen, etc... If the basement is too humid mold will grow in your ballast, grass and trees. Also, I've has trees which have dry rotted due to the basement habitat. This will happen regardless of scale.

#76696  by SRS125

If you put your track down on Blue Insulation board there should be no problums with the track according to what I have heard from a lot of model builders in my area.

#77484  by Otto Vondrak

Make sure your layout room is dry- especially if its in a basement. Make sure there are no leaks, and possibly consider investing in a dehumidifier to maintain a constant atmosphere. Also, consider finishing your train room- put down carpet, drywall the walls and paint them sky blue, and install plenty of lighting. Most people try to finish the room after they have built the layout- usually not a good idea.

-otto-

#77646  by Mr Lehigh

Carpet? I would think that would be a bad idea in a room that is going to have a lot of construction in it. I think a linoleum floor would be a better idea. The cleanup would be much easier. It would be colder though.

I've been experimenting with metal wall frames in my train room. Half the price, effort and mess. I'm still in the drywall phase. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I'd think about either heat runs or electric baseboard heat. Basements can get a little cool and electric baseboards are relatively easy to install.

#77705  by SRS125

A linoleum floor would be a good idea and maybe space rugs like what you would find in the entry way of a store in the winter. These would be easyer to clean up that and for the simple idea that if you had an open layout tour it would be easyer to roll them up and keep a bear floor to mop up.

#77966  by Mr Lehigh

I like the idea of a roll up carpet. There are times when it's better to have a low pile carpet on the floor than linoleum. Those small parts that inevitably get dropped wouldn't roll away on a carpet like they do linoleum. And when the messy work comes around, roll the carpet up. Problem solved.

Has anyone built a room in the basement specifically as a train room? I've been working on mine for almost two years now! Slow progress I know. One of the things that concerned me was insulation. I talked to someone at Lowes and he said what I should do is to stuff insulation between the above floor beams where they meet the outside wall, then run plastic sheeting down the wall between the cinderblock wall and the framework. I wasn't sure if I should insulate the 2x4 wall frames themselves or not. He didn't think I needed to do that. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

#77988  by Otto Vondrak

Carpet is much easier on the feet- consider how much standing and walking you'll be doing around your layout. If anything, consider it in your aisleways.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #78099  by jmp883

Definitely echo all the sentiments above regarding temperature and humidity concerns.

In regard to flooring.....keep bare floors during the construction phase and then once the layout is 'basically' complete, put carpet down wherever you or your operating crew will stand or walk. Hopefully you have a separate workbench area for projects, so dropping small items won't be as much of an issue once the carpet is in place.

As for sunlight, my opinion is to cover over any windows in the layout room. A former HO layout of mine developed a very obvious sunfade area due to a basement window facing west. From mid-afternoon until sunset there was sun on that section. Made for very realistic lighting but then one day it finally struck me how faded it was compared to the rest of the layout. Cover the windows and use electric sun to light your layout.

Good Luck!

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL!
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#82234  by Eriediamond

I agree with the above replies, but might add that from my experience the problem of track distortion is not caused so much from the track itself, but from the materials it's attached to expanding and contracting. Another hint for basement layouts is to cover the ceiling with plastic film or put a false ceiling in over the layout. Normal foot traffic on the floor above will cause dust and dirt to sift down onto the layout. Cinder or cement block foundation walls should also be covered in plastic or painted with a moisture barrier type paint. I would also recommend the use of kiln dried lumber for the frame work and it would be a good idea to leave it set in the basement for a few days before actually using it. Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of building a model railroad!!!!!!!!

#82476  by FiatFan

If you have an older home where the basement floor is not really level, another solution would be to get the epoxy paint from Rustoleum that is designed for basement floors.

I painted not only my train room but also the rest of the basement with this stuff. Makes a huge difference in the amount of dust and I think it helps keep the moisture down so the dehumidifier doesn't have to work as hard.

Tom

#82603  by SRS125

We tryed an expareament at are railroad club by puting Bolts into the bottom of the legs. Were able to adjust the high to make the table level in order to contol expantion and contaraction. So far the expareament works :P
 #91112  by joe aloia

I just posted a note on "basements are they here to stay",in that thread i noted that i have my layout (HO) outdoors. Yes it is in my back yard for almost a year and i have not experienced any distorsion,or warpage.I
just went thru a blizzard with 18" of snow,after sweeping off the snow, the track was still intact. The most i do is to put a tarp over it when not in use.
Normally i leave all my equipement under wraps(power pack,rolling stock,and locos) but with the temperature going dowm to 8 degrees f., just the locos were brought inside.I have never :-D enjoyed my hobby as i do now.

#91593  by thrdkilr

I find joe aloia's point interesting. Isn't HO track and LGB (G?) track made of the same materials? If so, why couldn't you have an HO Garden Railroad? It would be a lot cheaper, and when you start thinking about things like Bonzi Trees, the juices start flowing....

#92155  by trainiac

I've often pondered an HO garden railroad, but it wouldn't work well where I live, since there's a 60-degree difference (Celsius) between summer and winter temperatures. Also, something as small as a pine needle on the tracks is like a log in HO scale, and would derail the train. But maybe, someday, if I had a place to store it in cooler temperatures...

I've got my current layout in a basement, and I've discovered that it's possible for the environment to be TOO dry. During the winter, the air is so dry that I spray the lichen in my scenery with water to prevent it from crumbling when touched.