• Looking for N scale Amfleet cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by capltd29

Does anyone know if any N amfleet cars can be found, i can find superliners but no amfleets. I am also looking into doing an N scale layout, any tips/ good websites for building tips?

JP

by Otto Vondrak

Welcome to our site!

I think Bachmann made some N scale Amfleets awhile ago. Try searching eBay, they may turn up.

If you have questions about building an N scale layout, feel free to ask them here in a new thread!

-otto-
  by jmp883

Hey Jp,

Jp here.....I converted from HO-scale to N-scale at least 10 years ago now and I think it was the best move I ever made. The locomotives and rolling stock are jewels compared to what they were up through the late 80s.

Locomotives..... You won't be disappointed with Kato, Atlas, and Life-Like. Just keep in mind that most locomotive runs are limited editions. However if there is something you want that has already been released you might be able to find it in a hobby shop or on eBay.

Rolling Stock.....For me anyway, Micro-Trains is the hands down winner. They are also limited runs on a monthly basis but most hobby shops I've been in have quite a large stock. Again, there is always eBay. Atlas, InterMountain, Deluxe Innovations, and Red Caboose are also excellent choices for freight cars. For streamlined passenger cars both Con-Cor and Kato make excellent equipment, though Con-Cor has a HUGE roadname assortment compared to Kato. In the heavyweight category, Rivarossi seems to be the only RTR company with any sort of selection.

Amtrak.....For your question about Amtrak cars, Con-Cor lists both Viewliners and Budd cars. The Budd cars are listed in both Phase III and Phase IV variations w/ nine different car types for each Phase. For an Amtrak locomotive, Kato made both single and double unit sets of Amtrak's GE P42 Genesis engine. Atlas makes a GE Dash 8-32 BHW in several different Amtrak color schemes/road numbers, and Con-Cor sells an Alco PA-1, both powered and unpowered, as well as an unpowered PB-1. Life-Like makes an EMD F40PH. It got good reviews in it's day, but compared to the other Amtrak locos that are available, it's a little like riding a donkey in the Kentucky Derby.

Couplers.....definitely go with Micro-Trains couplers. You can't beat the prototypical look and your operations will be much more enjoyable. Atlas locomotives come with Accu-Mate couplers already installed, they are M-T compatible. Obviously M-T freight cars already come equipped with M-T couplers and they have a HUGE selection of couplers and truck-mounted couplers for virtually any locomotive, freight car, or passenger car. Most of them are factory assembled so it is just a matter of removing the ugly Rapido coupler, dropping the assembled M-T in place and replacing the retaining clip, or pulling the trucks off and replacing them with the equivalent M-T truck/coupler combo.

Track.....I use Atlas nickel-silver sectional and flex laid on a cork roadbed, then ballasted. Kato and Bachman make sectional track mounted on a plastic ballast base, if you're following a trackplan out of a book that may be an option. I prefer the planning flexibility that flex track and unmounted sectional track gives me.

Power.....You can go either conventional DC or DCC. Almost all locos made today are DCC capable. That's a decision only you can make, check the DCC thread here at Railroad.net. I'm currently running on DC but have been contemplating make the switch to DCC. For DC get a good power pack, not the train set type. I have 2 MRC Tech II 2500's, they are great power packs.

Books.....That's up to you. I only have 4: ' Introduction To N Scale Model Railroading' and 'Nine N Scale Railroads', both from Atlas. These books cover the basics model railroading from tracklaying to wiring and both books include trackplans. My layout is a variation of plan N-11 from the 'Nine N Scale Rairoads book. The 3rd book I have is Kalmbach Publishing's 'N Scale Railroad That Grows'. A great way to build a layout step-by-step. Even if you don't build the layout, there are a lot of great tips. Of course the most important book you should have is the Walthers N Scale Catalog. It's a great resource, as well as a place to pass the time dreaming, er...planning, the future of your layout.

Well, now that I've bored the daylights out of you, feel free to check the link below to my N scale layout. Remember, these are just my opinions. Use and do what works best for you and let no one tell you that using this or doing that is wrong.

It's a great hobby, enjoy!

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL!
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

by capltd29

Thanks guys

by keeper1616

I have several n scale Amfleets made by bachman - I think I could get some more if you ask nice (PM me)

They are not the best quality, but they are the only ones I could find