• lessons learned from moving model trains stuff

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by stuart_iowa

since awhile back there was a post on how to move a model train empire I thought i would post what i have done now and will do 3 times in less then 12 months.

this time last year due to some family problems on my now ex wife's side of the family we move across a town into her mothers home and I had to pack up the trains and start over.

1) packed everything in light stryofoam boxes with tight fitting lids that the local supermarket gave away , grapes came in them.
then moved everything the 6 blocks aways and unpacked no damage.

the next move was this past summer. wife deiced that it would be in her best interest to get a divorce and me to go my own way.

this time since the distance was greater I decided on those hard plastic rubbermaid containers for storing and for shipping of the model cars
and locomotives.

I packed everything in the boxes they came with wrapped the car or locomotive in papertowels, then oput inside box, they set inside the storage box. once the box was almost too heavy to lift I put the lid on it and taped it shut to make sure it did not coem open.

after a 1000 mile trip I opened everything and it was all fine , just the way it was packed.....

I am going to be going away again for awhile from the gf to take care of some family stuff on my side and I will not be taking it with me. I think she will be holding it for ransom to make sure I come soon. I will be gone 6 months or so from the layout, so everything will be put away in boxs for safe keeping, just leaving the track bare. will be meeting her for weekends only for a little while but oh well I will just think of the trains that will await me here when back.

by stuart_iowa

i just do not see any reason to pack them all up amd move them to only move them back in 6 months or so....besides the payout is in her basement