• Greasy substance

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NJ Vike

I was going to purchase what appeared to be a new NYS&W Lionel engine at the Allentown train show last week when I noticed that when I took the engine out of the box, there was this pink colored greasy substance under the wheels.

Not having much experience with trains and being cautious, I declined the offer. The vendor selling the train said that this was normal.

Has anyone else ever seen this when purchasing either a new or used engine? I've only purchased several in the past and neither of them had any grease.

Thanks

Ken
  by 1st Barnegat

NJ Vike:

Never saw pink greasy stuff. Black, yes, but only on the gears. Also could find translucent, almost white grease on the gears too, that being the more modern, plastic-compatible grease.

So I agree with you, that stuff you saw is not normal. In any case, an engine should not be greased so much that it gets all over (probably true for the prototypes too, but what do I know).
  by NJ Vike

First Barnegat wrote:NJ Vike:

Never saw pink greasy stuff. Black, yes, but only on the gears. Also could find translucent, almost white grease on the gears too, that being the more modern, plastic-compatible grease.

So I agree with you, that stuff you saw is not normal. In any case, an engine should not be greased so much that it gets all over (probably true for the prototypes too, but what do I know).
FB,

I went to another train show this weekend in search of a NYS&W (O-27) and saw it again on another one. I asked some vendors from other stands and some said it was normal and it appears that they just added too much grease.

I'm still not convinced and will keep away from them.

Thanks for the reply.