Railroad Forums 

• Tell us about your workbench/workshop area

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#68770  by Otto Vondrak

One thing I have noticed beyond improved storage is that the computer is becoming a workshop tool as well. You can look up a photo of that car you are trying to decal, get a quick answer to see if a part or kit is in stock, or answer that burning question: "On the old XY&Z, did Town X have one siding or two? How long?"

I currently do not have a workbench. I have a small toolbox of modeling tools, and I work on my kitchen table. I have been assembling small structure kits and doing simple car painting and decalling projects, but not much else.

At RITMRC, we repurposed old study cubbies into workstations. They are located in the main room with the layout. Here is my friend Joe working at one of them: http://ritmrc.org/photos/2004february/m ... CF0035.JPG

We also have a small work station in the back with the staging yards. Its primary use is for troubleshooting locomotives, and rolling stock repair. This workstation is often used while we have shows so we can perform repair work out of sight of visitors. http://ritmrc.org/photos/2002feb/media/ ... gYards.JPG

Basically- any flat surface can become a workstation at RITMRC.

-otto-
 #68850  by Komachi

My workshop/workspace...

Well, I designed my modular layout to sit on shelving units on which I keep my rolling stock and other things. I have some rolling shelved storage bins that I have under one of the two modules that I keep some unassembled building kits and detail parts in as well as my collection of sectional track (invaluable when planning out a layout, as you can temporarily put it together and see if your design is going to work or not).

My workbench is an old knock-together computer desk that we had here at home. I have a small vice (with rubber covers to keep from damaging my models) and a Dremel drill-press adapter that I still need to perminatly attach to it, although, I think I'm going to have a custom piece of plywood cut to form a new work surface (more durable than the chipboard the desk is made of!) and then attach the tools to that.

Next on my "must get" items are some lamps for better lighting (the room my layout is in was originally used for a billiard table for the previous owner, so my only illumination is two lights with faux stain glass, plastic shades) and an illuninated magnifying glass (my eyes aren't the greatest... I'm almost 28 and wear trifocals).

But that's the jist of what I have to work with.

#68870  by astrosa

Speaking of model railroad clubs, here at RPI we have a neat little system to accommodate the fact that at any given time there are several members working on their own projects. Each member has one or more plywood trays, roughly 1' x 2', which is usually enough space for the model as well as tools and paints. Our lounge/workroom contains a home-made table that is basically a frame divided into six sections, and each tray will fit perfectly into a section of the table. When the member is done for the day, the trays go into a tall rack that holds about a dozen of them. This way there's (almost) always space on the table for anyone who wants to work on something.

Although...in spite of this system, the "flat surface" rule still applies.

#70126  by CIOR

Here is what my bench looked like several months ago. A few things have changed/been added.
The computer is a nice thing to have there too, but its a luxury that most will do without. (I just happened to have the laptop down there when I snapped this picture, its not something I normally take down there!).