Railroad Forums 

• Preferred locomotives for switching layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#74091  by NYC_Dave

I have been using a Proto 2000 SW9 for switching duties since 1997 - first on a Timesaver layout and currently on my permanent layout (under construction). It runs quietly and smoothly at slow speeds.

#74616  by dti406

My favorite switching locomotive is my old Hobbytown RS-3, the weight of the metal body lets me pull any length of train and its slow speed and flywheel coasting is great for switching.

Rick
 #74690  by retired grouch

On our club's freight yard, I use my Athern S-12 modified with a Mashima can motor and with Ernst regearing. And with bits of lead tucked in here and there. A tad noisy until the gears became "lapped" (which took about 5 years) but it moves oh so slow and pulls like a bear!

B.D. in "Joisey"

#75857  by SRS125

out of 111 Locomotives in my collection I use the following units for Yard switchers:

Light Yard Power:
1 FM H-12-44---> 1 Ex MILW unit used at the Power Plant.
3 EMD SW-8--->1 Conrail car shop job, 1 BC Hydro, 1 CN. Last 2 used as yard/Local Road jobs.
2 EMD SW-9--->both Lehigh Valley Both used in the Yard.
2 GMDD SW-9--->both TH&B Units used in Transfer, Local, and Yard Jobs.
2 GMD SW-1200RS--->both CN Units used for Local Road & Yard Jobs.
1 EMD SW-1500---> Conrail Yard Switcher.
1 MLW S-3--->CP Rail Yard Job.
2 Plymouth MDT-6's---> 1 for the sea port, 1 for Oil Refinery.
1 BLW VO1000---> one EX SP unit Used at the Quarry & Conrete Plants.

Heavy Yard Power:
2 EMD SD-7--->Both Conrail units used for heavy Yard Drill.
1 EMD SD-9--->Conrail Unit used for Heavy Yard Drill.
1 GMD GP-9 Chop Nose---> CP Rail unit used for heavy Yard Drill.
1 FM H-24-66---> former EL Unit used at the Coal Mine.
1 ALCO RS-1M---> Used at the Lumber Mill.
1 EMD GP-16R---> Used at the Paper Mill.

#82241  by Eriediamond

Still in the planning (dreaming) stages of my ERIE layout. have puchased a few ERIE locos and rolling stock for it though. Switching duties will fall on an 0-4-0 shifter, 0-6-0 and an 0-8-0 will double as a switcher and some "local" work along with a Mikado. Main line will be serviced by a couple of Pacifics and a Decapod. Since we live in a mobil home, space is limited so no big yards or heavy switching duties. Ken

#82473  by FiatFan

If you're looking for really small power, take a look at the Critter from MDC/Roundhouse. I have a couple of them and really like them. Good runners, surprisingly good pulling power, and good low speed operation.

Tom