Railroad Forums 

• Help Me Make Sense of DCC

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#4011  by deanbrunnet

I am just getting back in model rail roading after a long
abbsence.Can any one out there help me makes since of
dcc. I realy feellike a I am realy stuppid. any reading meteral
would help.

#4593  by XRails

There are some good books around, just head on over to Walthers (http://www.walthers.com) and look for DCC books.

What DCC basically does is allow you to control multiple locos independantly, without the need of block wiring (yes, you can crash two trains if you aren't careful. It also allows you to do such things as keep the lights running while the loco is stopped, and adjusting the speed of each moter in lashups so they work at canstant speeds. This is accomplished through a tiny microchip in each loco called a decoder, which recieves inputs from the controllers through coded signals in the rails. Hope that helps!

DCC

#4625  by Ralph DeBlasi

I would strongly recommend two other sources. This got me over the hump. First I would recommend Larry Puckett's series in various issues of Model Railroading Magazine. They started around 1995 or 1996. This is what I used to cut my teeth and make the plunge.

Second, and easier to aquire would be the DCC serious published in RMC starting in 2001. In goes about 20 parts, but covers everything pretty well.

Ralph
 #25811  by Smilin' Ed

Dean,

If you want to enjoy operating a layout DCC is THE ANSWER! Back in the late 70s I thought a microwave oven was a silly appliance. Then we visited my wife's sister for a few weeks and I used one. Before long I couldn't imagine how we got along without it. DCC is the same way. I bought an EasyDCC system from Keith after the 1998 NMRA here in Kansas City and let it collect dust for a year or so while we solved our basement water problems. As soon as I had more that one loco equiped with a decoder I knew DCC was the way to go. Now one operator can switch the main yard on my layout while another works the town and another brings in a train from staging. And all this on ONE electrical block. We're running the trains, not operating the track. Don't make it harder than it is. Like the Nike commercials used to say, "Just do it."