Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1263324  by Montrealrail1

timberley wrote:More good stuff on here. @Montrealrail, that's a neat looking flatcar load. Will definitely look good with some chains on it. @deandremouse, looking forward to seeing how that BL20CG turns out, it's a pretty cool loco. I can see you've got a LOT of sanding to do! And @greenelitecab, those Arrow IIs are looking good. Can't say I know a lot about the prototype, but they do look like it.

My latest project was detailing an Athearn RTR SW1000 to better match the prototype VIA #202. Here's a little graphic showing what I changed to make the model a better match for the prorotype in its present form, and then a few photos of the finished switcher. VIA 202 is one of only two switchers on the VIA Rail roster, and along with 204 it toils behind the scenes at the Montreal Maintenance Centre, moving cars and assembling trains.
I got something can help you in your project..yesterday,I did delivery to VIA MMC and I get a picture from the real 202 switcher
 #1266625  by timberley

Awesome photo, thanks! It is really difficult to find many photos of those switchers, so I had to do an awful lot of digging just to get every angle on 202. That photo there effectively shows off a lot of the mods I made on the model, while also showing a few that I didn't (if you're keen-eyed enough to notice :-) )
 #1277780  by acelaphillies

Well guys, I got my P40 assembled! I still need some rust paint to paint the wheels and couplers, as well as a few other miscellaneous things, like painting the grills, but for the most part I am done! I took it outside to snap some shots, I hope you enjoy!

ImageIMG_2851 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2864 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2849 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2857 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2853 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2854 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2863 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2861 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

-acelaphillies
 #1277824  by Ken S.

acelaphillies wrote:Well guys, I got my P40 assembled! I still need some rust paint to paint the wheels and couplers, as well as a few other miscellaneous things, like painting the grills, but for the most part I am done! I took it outside to snap some shots, I hope you enjoy!

ImageIMG_2851 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2864 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2849 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2857 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2853 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2854 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2863 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2861 by acelaphillies, on Flickr

-acelaphillies
Nice work. Now couple some Comets to it.
 #1277839  by ApproachMedium

Dont waste your time painting the wheels. Those are the poor steel wheels that athearn made from way back. Just get a set of 42 inch athearn nickel silver wheels from NWSL or from a newer athearn diesel model. The old cintered steel wheels pick up dirt like crazy and are not very DCC friendly, since when they get dirty they loose communication.

Its not a bad idea though if you need extra pulling power to leave one axle (Forward most, picks up the dirt ahead) as the old steel wheels for traction. You can either just leave it as is or add bullfrog snot for super pulling power.

Very nice work on the model otherwise.
 #1277848  by acelaphillies

Thanks guys. Ken, I don't have any Comets, but this leads me to my next project--ACES multilevel cars. Approach, thanks for the input and suggestions.

The one thing I am not quite thrilled about on this model is how the final clear coat came out. I think it is more dull than the prototype. Maybe I will fix it eventually, but for now I think I will just enjoy having it all together and running.
 #1277950  by LIRR272

Very nice!!!! I agree with Approach about the wheels. A newer P42 from Athearn comes with nice wheels so you may want to switch out the trucks if you can. Add the multi-level cars and you would have a nice consist.
 #1278040  by ApproachMedium

LIRR272 wrote:Very nice!!!! I agree with Approach about the wheels. A newer P42 from Athearn comes with nice wheels so you may want to switch out the trucks if you can. Add the multi-level cars and you would have a nice consist.
No need to switch entire trucks. Athearn wheels and axles are super easy to swap out. You dont even have to take the shell off.
 #1278088  by Backshophoss

If you're swapping out wheelsets,inspect the axle gear for cracks,their have been times I have found cracked
axle gears when working on the trucks,the cracking may have been a factory problem at the wheel install station.
This has happened to Proto 2000 drive axles as well.
The Athearn axle gear will work in Proto 2000 power trucks. :-)
 #1282683  by Montrealrail1

Montrealrail1 wrote:
timberley wrote:More good stuff on here. @Montrealrail, that's a neat looking flatcar load. Will definitely look good with some chains on it. @deandremouse, looking forward to seeing how that BL20CG turns out, it's a pretty cool loco. I can see you've got a LOT of sanding to do! And @greenelitecab, those Arrow IIs are looking good. Can't say I know a lot about the prototype, but they do look like it.

My latest project was detailing an Athearn RTR SW1000 to better match the prototype VIA #202. Here's a little graphic showing what I changed to make the model a better match for the prorotype in its present form, and then a few photos of the finished switcher. VIA 202 is one of only two switchers on the VIA Rail roster, and along with 204 it toils behind the scenes at the Montreal Maintenance Centre, moving cars and assembling trains.
I got something can help you in your project..yesterday,I did delivery to VIA MMC and I get a picture from the real 202 switcher

I added two more pictures,the message repaeting,cause the "edit" button are no longer exist on original post (I don't know why)