Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1084567  by Backshophoss

If you going to run sound decoders,then you're just about "forced" to "repower" to keep below the max amps
allowed by the decoder(Tsunami's for example).
For an Athearn GP-38-2,a Digitrax DH165 series decoder,along with the "sound bug" plug in could
have worked with the orignal motor.
FYI,get rid of the disc cap-NOT needed!

What are your plans to repower the SW/MP-15's??
NWSL makes some can motors about that size.
 #1084583  by Backshophoss

The way I understand it,that's the "factory" motor for the RTR/Genises switchers chassis,good motor for switching.:)
 #1084608  by Steve F45

Backshophoss wrote:The way I understand it,that's the "factory" motor for the RTR/Genises switchers chassis,good motor for switching.:)
I have plenty of RTR and Genesis loco's, and the motor in that pic on the previous page is not in any of them.
 #1084616  by Backshophoss

The SW-1500 I run at the club has a can type motor installed,was current "plug n play" RTR production,
put in a DH-123 decoder and put it on the road.
 #1084666  by deandremouse

Well i don't know if Athearn changed the motor or if its still the original factory installed, as years ago when I bought it, I had to send it in twice for warranty work ( the MRC decoder blew twice, this was before the tsunami switchover)

So I see, cut the cap. And then hardware it

And this locomotive Is going to be used for intermodal switching so seems fitting for this engine.
 #1089808  by Backshophoss

The MRC decoders weren't the greatest,how did the rebuild go??
 #1089927  by Steve F45

i've started working on a kitbash to make a NJ Transit GP40PH-2B. Using a SD40 frame, SD45 walkway spliced with a SD40T walkway for the rear portion, the upper roof section of the SD45 with the long hood end, GP40-2 for the long hood sides. Cannon 88'' nose, subbase and dash 2 cab. Things will be done slowly so not to rush to rush anything and also cause i have a newborn son and thats priority #1 right now.
 #1089936  by ApproachMedium

You can also use SDP40 rear walkways, anything that came with a steam generator on the back will have the same type of walkway the HEP locos have with the ladders instead of steps.
 #1090049  by Steve F45

Walkway's already glued together and sanded smooth
Cannon nose with bug eye's for marker lights.
I'll hopefully have the dash 2 cab built tonight. Baby is very fussy and gassy today so we've been trying to get him to relax.
 #1090218  by cnj1524

Ya the NJ Transit GP40PH-2's are a project,more time consuming than anything,when I did 3 of them I used a machined athearn frame(spliced 2 gp40s extened)
a athearn gp40 shell(cut rear hood,used cannon cab,battery boxes,nose and RPP SD45 long hood,atlas gp40 trucks with athearn side frames(athearn frame was machined to fit atlas trucks)rear steps from athearn SD40T-2,If I can get either IMW or IHP to make the shells I would finish the 2 masters I have and then have
the frames bowser or equivalent machine frames from my prototype but this takes alot of money to do so if there is enough interest then there are wheels
in motion as the idea for shell and frames would be adaptable for NJT,MBTA,MARC,VRE ect. but again takes alot of money so we will see
 #1090306  by green_elite_cab

Cool stuff! I've been looking into trying to make a CNJ GP40P, but then I keep debating whether its worth the money to just buy a brass one. Its not that a GP40P couldn't be made, but I just need one, and a Brass one would at least look nice. It seems like rebuilding the drive would be easier than kitbashing a whole locomotive from multiple parts.
 #1090444  by Steve F45

Any particular Atlas 4 axle truck to use? Are they all the same just different side frames? Im thinking of using the atlas and details west adapter plate to fit athearn side frames.
 #1090498  by ApproachMedium

The CNJGP40P in the steam heat era had the trucks with the roller bearings with box covers on them, and Bloomberg B trucks, quad brake cylinders. The current HEP setups have standard roller bearing with quad brake cylinders. They still stop the worst out of all the geeps even though they have the most brake cylinders of them all.