Railroad Forums 

• CHALLENGER (LIONEL OR ATHEARN)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#63365  by Chuck Walsh

I opted for the Athearn for $255.00. This is my first Athean product and I figured after 50 years of model manufacturing they got it right.

Waiting for it to arrive.

However I'm disappointed to learn that on two other forums the Athearn
2-8-2 & 4-6-2 have developed drive gear splitting and no parts are on hand
and don't know when.
It's difficult for me to respect a manufacturer when they default on their warranty.