Railroad Forums 

• HO Scale NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#62845  by SeldenJrFireman

I am planning to put tigether a train set for my layout. Would an F40, 3 coach cars and 1 cab car be prototipical?

thanks

Mike

#62846  by Jtgshu

NJT seems to run 3 car trains (2 coaches and a cab car) on Newark Divisoin lines, RVL, ACL, Bay Head Shuttle, while on the Hoboken Divsion, there are more 3, 4 and 5 car diesel trains on the Main, Bergen PJ, etc lines. So yes that is very prototypical.

Just make sure you have all the coaches going the "right" way - the small window is on the B end of the car, the other end is the A end - they couple up A to B, so the B end is always facing the engine.

#62855  by mcmannors

NJT seems to run 3 car trains (2 coaches and a cab car) on Newark Divisoin lines, RVL...
In my 6 years on the railroad, I have never seen a 3 car consist on the RVL. I have seen 5 cars (4 plus cab), 6 cars (5 plus cab), and 7 cars (6 plus cab) on the RVL. Maybe if they ever run a weekend High Bridge to Raritan shuttle....;-)

#62858  by BlockLine_4111

Make a replica of the 1986 Bergen Shore Express.

1 F40PH-2
8 Comet I coaches
2 Comet I cab cars

#62882  by Jtgshu

Come to think of it, neither have I ever have seen a 3 car RVL train. - i was just listing the diesel lines on the Newark division.

The ACL is almost exclusively 3 car sets, but quite recently, Bay Head has been down to only one 3 car set, the others are 6. Every once in a while, there are 2 3 car sets, but they are getting fewer and farther inbetween.

#62890  by nick11a

Yup, that sounds about right.

And I have never seen anything but 6 car RVL trains. Cool to hear though there has been 5 and 7 though.

Interestingly enough, at the Westbound side of Bridgewater, they have stopping guides starting from two cars and up.

#62933  by NJTRailfan

I've seen trainsets of 1 F-40, five coach cars and one cab/coach car. I've also seen consists back in the early and mid 90s that did pull 7 or even 8 cars on the M&E Line.

#62957  by nick11a

I think the most I've seen is 10 cars on the Bergen line during rush.

#62989  by Otto Vondrak

If you have a small layout, a three or four-car train is more than appropriate. Two and three car locals are common on the branch lines of Metro-North. You can always invoke rule #1: It's my railroad and I can do whatever I want/like/feel.

-otto-

#63183  by SeldenJrFireman

Otto,
aside from a few things, that's the only rule I follow!