Railroad Forums 

• Looking for CTA models in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#61776  by Chuck Walsh

There is a CTA elevated line featured as part of the HO Great Train Story
at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry display. There is also a picture post card of a CTA train at a station as part of a package of cards.
I have not been there http://www.msichicago.org and click on exhibits.
I don't know who makes the el. I can check around but it may take a while to find out.
Being a south sider you probably have already been there.

#61799  by dti406

Bill Clouser used to make a CTA kit of the old heavywieght cars that were retired in the 70's. One of my club members did a model of one as a copy of the one acquired by the local trolley group. They were listed in the old Walther's Catalogues but I don't know if they are in the current ones.

Rick

#61830  by astrosa

The CTA cars and elevated featured in the Museum of Science & Industry display were custom-built by one of the companies that worked on the exhibit. The June and July 2003 issues of Model Railroader have photos and some information.

Other than that, MTS Imports is pretty much the only source for CTA models, though you might have a look around at Q-Car Company as well.

#61919  by Mike@IHP

HO CTA models have mostly been done in brass to date. There have been a few mixed-media craftsman kits (the latest being a 1-50), but they require modeling experience to finish.

Word is that LifeLike MAY consider HO CTA models down the road.

My own company, IHP, has some HO CTA models under consideration, and we already have become the first-ever manufacturer to offer CTA equpiment in N scale (6000 and 2200 series cars).

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.com