• HO Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidations

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, Otto Vondrak, stilson4283

by scrag104

Hello fellow modelers,

I am thinking of buying one or two of the Bachmann Consolidations and I wanted to know what the reviews, as well as personal experiences, have been with this engine. I looked through many websites and I didn't find any reviews. Also, I am a NYC modeler and I would like to know how closely the NYC model matches the actual engine.

Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

by mp15ac

I assume you mean the Spectrum ones, not the old Reading one. The are a generic design. I'm not familiar enough with New York Central designs to be able to help you there. However, they run great, and pull reasonably well. The are also DCC ready.

Stuart

by scrag104

Yes, I did mean the Spectrum version. What type of drive mechanism does it use, worm gear or belt drive?

mp15ac, how many cars does your engine pull?

Thanks,

Scott

by conrail71

Hey,
My Spectrum 2-8-0 can pull about 15-20 40 foot cars. According to my NYC steam power book, this engine is pretty close to NYC's. If you wanted a 100% accurate model it wouldn't be too difficult. I am VERY pleased with the performance of this model.
Mike

by kevinknobl

Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidations in my opinion, are some of the best HO Steam locomotives ever built. P2K Heritage is great but keep in mind the Consolidations came out before P2K Heritage and are roughly half the price.

Very well detailed model, and runs great.

Kevin

by Chuck Walsh

Generally speaking this Spectrum 2-8-0, 13.4 oz unit has pleased many modelers.The loco picks up current from all eight drivers and from two tender wheels on each side.
According to MR June 1998 review, it's based on the 900-series 2-8-0 rebuilt by the IC in it's Paducah KY shop in the 1930s.

by mp15ac

Another nice thing about all of the Spectrum steam locos is that they come with working pilot (front) couplers. No modifications needed for double-heading or switching.

Stuart