Railroad Forums 

• Nice to be home....

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#170  by Puddington

It's nice to be home in N scale land - hope we can keep this lively... !

Let's start off with a question - Does anyone have a review of the new Model Power Pacific or the Bachman Mountain ?

Good, bad or otherwise ?
 #22626  by x600

Hi All,
I am not real happy with the new mountain from Bachmann.
A few things to note. It looks Great. the detail and mechanism is equal or better than almost everything out there. It flat just looks fantastic. At low speed it is smooth and quiet. But when I coupled it to 20 MT 40ft Bxcrs I was extremely disappointed. It finally moved with 10 and not without some slipping. This was on straight level track. I remembered how the first release of the Kato Mike was, in that it pulled better after breaking in. Well this one didn't pull much better after about an hour of running.
I had some time the other day and figured if it had more weight it might pull better. It was a bear to disassemble and even worse to reassemble. there is just too much valve gear to make reassembly very easy. I did manage to find space to add about 5gms of lead in various locations, but after returning to the track, I could only manage 2 more cars. Not alot for the time and money spent. I also shimmed the brass keeper bearings on the drive axles as they would shift in their pockets.
I will say that I got it cheap from a reputable dealer, I wouldn't pay 175 bucks or even 130 for it. It just is'nt worth that much for an engine that will only pull 10 or 12 cars when the 2-8-0 will pull 20 and the Kato Mike will pull 25 with traction tires. This engine was a road freight engine on many roads so I would hope it would pull a prototypical lenght train.
For my money, the 2-8-0 or the Mike are a better deal.
Did I say the Mt looks Great? Because it does.
Greg O