Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel lining

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#55436  by snowplough

I have one tunnel in particular whose first several inches of interior will be very visible to all, and I would like to know how to model the interior. What sort of structural contraptions (plate anchors, etc.), if any, would be visible? (And would these be on the walls or only the ceiling?) What about beams? What's the best way to simulate the appearance of the tunnel walls?

snowplough

#55903  by scopelliti

I would go one step further: paint everything about an inch inside the tunnel pitch black. The walls, roadbed, ties, rails (except the top of course!), etc.

#56065  by WANF-11--->Chaser

My tunnels are unlined but I put a coat of flat black latex paint as far in as I could reach. I will also add a small curtain in front of my access portal to block out the rest of the ambient light.

Whats really funny. Going to Home Depot and asking for flat black paint.

The girl at the counter just couldnt figure out why I wanted flat black paint, even after I told her. LOL