Railroad Forums 

• Are there new LIRR models available in HO scale?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#63664  by M1 9147

I'd try IHP, but it is costly. I have plans to bet a maker if anyone has time to get money, and ideas.

#63773  by mlrr

I was talking with a friend the other day and we were talking about modern commuter trains being produced by manufactures.

Unfortunately, Walthers tried to tap into this market a while ago when the did a run of the DC Metro and BART commuter trains/subway cars. They had powered and non powered versions but apparently they did not sell well. I think that experience has discouraged manufactures from running these types of models.

I personally would like to see Walthes do a run of some M1 and M2 MUs. I've wanted those since I was 3/4 years old. I believe those would sell extremely well if distributed in the Northeast. NY in particular. I know IHP prodcues them but don't get involved in that train wreck, lol. They want over 200 dollars damn near 300 dollars for a two car set (which is basically how the prototype comes and you never see that length on the prototype railroads; Metro-North of LIRR), that is NOT made of brass, HAS TO BE ASSEMBLED from SCRATCH AND neither in the set is powered (last I heard, although it looks like it's being considered). I believe IHP over-charges and is not worth the consideration at this time. I came close to dealing with them but the guy seemed unreasonable.

My suggestion would be to mass as many people as you can who want what you want and start some sort of petition to convince manufactures to produce this model at a much more reasonalbe price for the consumer.

I will say however that if you do decide to go the "petition" route, I'll gladly jump on board.
 #64001  by Myke Romeo Angel

Well I'll be glad to put my signature on there.... :-D

There is a new era a brewing for commuter modelrs. I say Walthers can do a limited run edition...

I was trying to see if i could find any of the old BART or METRO cars anywhere. I'm quite sure some genious could kit bash them into a M1 or M2 car. It would be a lot of work, however i strongly feel it's possible since both the units operate with center doors. The only thing that would really needed to be replaced is the windows. I know some modelers split they're NJT & MTA comet cars with center doors, so anything is possible.. :P

I really want a NJT ARROW III car so bad i can taste it... Those cars are AWSOME.....

#64473  by Otto Vondrak

Myke and Kyle... I take it you haven't been in the hobby too long? Don't hold your breath and hope someone is going to make such a specialized model and price it for young adults to afford. That means no Metro-North MU's, and no NJT MU's either. Get ready to pay $100 or more for a craftsman kit if you really want one that bad. That is just the way the market is.

But... it's always fun to wish!

-otto-
 #64477  by Myke Romeo Angel

i still have faith. I know there was a time no one ever thought an AEM-7 engine would be made in HO Scale or the Horizon Fleet cars. Even if it doesn't one can dream.... :wink:

#64754  by mlrr

Hey Otto,

I said I'd sign on to the petition if anyone desired to start one to see how much feedback we'd get, but I'm not pressed for these units like I have been in the past. I've survived without them this long, a few more years or even decades shouldn't hurt either. Maybe I'll get luck and I'll hit the lottery then and it won't matter how much I pay for a model of a commuter train. :wink:

Another thing is to look at the Metro-North train set Walthers prodcued last year. That's a sign of hope too, lol.

#66452  by BEDT16RMLI

forget HO how about more Long Island N Scale like pullmans that have two vestibules?